Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 01:33 PM

Default 071413 NS Report

I was supposed to be heading North last night or today, but my plans fell apart, so I figured I'd get up early and hit the NS, since it's been about 6 months since I made my last trip.

I slept in a little late, poked around getting ready, so I made it to the store about 9:30, an hour after opening. There were about a half dozen customers in the store already, and the selection was limited to mostly what's been reported recently...lots of HRA SGS and Sniper rifles of all grades. There were exactly 2 SA FG, and no other SG, FG, or RG of any kind, other than the snipers, NM guns, and HRA SGS.

I looked at both the SA FG, and to be honest, they were both pretty solid rifles, something most of us would be happy to get in the mail, by luck of the draw. Both had 3/8" HRA stocks in good condition, D-series op rods, postwar rear sights, and -19SA bolts. ME and TE readings on the tag were a lot worse than my gauges measured. One was a high 2 million with ME of under 2 and TE of about 4 (by my gauges), the other (which I took home) was a pre-WW2 6 Digit with ME just over 1 and TE of a hair over 3. Both rifles had '50s replacement barrels, and looked to be in original park. It was very tempting to grab the 2 Million, as I have all the parts to correct it in my stash, but the grenade holes in the stock and (slightly) higher barrel wear were the tie breakers.

THE GOOD: Lots of very nice HRA SGS, and M1D and M1C ranging in condition from very nice to "beater." The Kimbers are getting thin, but there are still a few to choose from, most of which have pretty bad cuts on the stock. There are Chromed 1903s, about 4 left, that look to be in decent condition for "beaters," but most have tags marked "no headspace," and the bores are dark (might just be dirty).

THE BAD: Zero Service Grades (other than Specials and Snipers), one FG when I left (actually a pretty nice rifle, imo). The Navy B/R all have very high TE, although there are some lookers in the bunch. Grade B receivers are sold out, all of them, with no word on when and if they'll be restocked. The 9mm ammo is sold out.

THE UNUSUAL: They still have AP ammo ( I picked up 2 cans) and Carbine ammo (passed on this, I got a lot the last time around). Still a bin of $5 leather slings in the back, that are a steal if you need a decent sling for a shooter. Some interesting gems in the drill rifles, I spotted a 4.66 HRA, a 5.7 HRA, and a 5.4 HRA. There's also a WRA drill rifle. Most of the drill rifles have welds in the op rod channels, so they'd be a bit more work to recover.

A little more detail:

Service Grades: None but the HRA SGS and Sniper guns.

Field Grades: One left when I cashed out. If there wasn't a limit of 1 rifle per customer, I would have taken it home, too. As it was, I had a hard time debating between the one I picked and the one I left behind.

Rack Grades: None

Specials: I didn't notice any CMP Specials, just the HRA SGS. None in .30-06 or .308, unless I missed them.

Snipers: Some nice project guns in the lower grades, some beautiful guns in the higher grades. It seems like the lower graded guns had more Greek Black, replacement wood, or worn barrels, with original park, GI wood (all postwar), and like new barrels in the higher grades.

Kimbers: Get 'em while you can, only about a rack left, partially full on both sides. Most looked to have razor cuts on the stocks.

Barreled Receivers:

A decent selection, with new barrels and park. Still a steal for a project gun, in my opinion.

The Mk2 Mod 0 are all gone.

The Mk2 Mod 1 were in decent quantity, although all had very high TE.

There are still a fair amount of the odd .22 barreled receivers, and a fair amount of Krag and 1917 odds and ends.

Odds and ends: The 1917 Twins are still there, I almost wanted to buy them just to put them out of their misery. The 1903s were a gamble...they looked like they'd clean up nicely, but the "no headspace" on the tags is a little troubling, and 3 of the 4 were low numbered guns.

Commercial Row: Springfield Armory was open, and they had a decent supply of Garand and M14 parts. The Blemished/2nd receivers were still for sale, and they had a LOT of the $100 op rods. All look to have been welded and reparked (possibly shortened rods that had been "lengthened" by them). A few PB, lots of 65 SA series, and a handful of -3SA, -6SA, and -9SA. No HRA, WRA, or IHC in the bunch (I scored a WRA rod last year, I guess it raised my expectations!).

Armalite had some good deals and lots of parts. There were other vendors, mostly shooting and reloading supplies, but the majority of the row wasn't open yet.

And as always, met some nice people, and had a great time.

Photos:

Typical of the HRA SGS; nearly perfect, a few with handling dings on the stocks. This one tempted me, as I have one about 40 numbers away, but I passed. They were mostly the common serial number ranges (4.7, 5.5, 5.6), with nothing in the 4.6, 5.4, or 5.7 S/N range.

Here's the FG I left behind. I don't think it'll last long, it's got a lot going for it. It has a 3/8" HRA stock (with grenade launcher holes), HRA trigger group, original park, and the barrel gauges under 2 at the muzzle and under 4 at the throat (using my gauges, the tag says 2+/4+ IIRC).

1903s, all that are left...they tempted me, but I resisted:

The Twins:

Navy B/R, all Mk1:

M14 Stocks; I looked for one, but all were pretty rough, and none had DAS stamps, so I passed:

Kimbers, front and back of one rack:

Still a good selection of Daisy 853, might pick another up on the next trip:

Last edited by dpd3672; 07-14-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Great report and pics Dave!!! Thanks Did you notice if they have gotten any 7.62X51 ammo yet?
Old 07-14-2013, 01:43 PM

And the one that followed me home...

342K (August of 1941) receiver with original park...smothered in Cosmoline and grime (I love a "clean up" project!). 6-50 SA barrel gauging a bit over 1 at the ME and right around 3 at the TE. 3/8" HRA stock with matching handguards in remarkably good condition (no major dings or dents, just a shallow carving of a soldier's initials on the left side). SA Postwar trigger group (65 TH, stamped TG, D65 Hammer) and postwar replacement op rod. WW2 SA gas cylinder, forged bullet guide, WRA Op rod catch, HRA follower arm, postwar rear sight, -19SA bolt. Overall a very nice FG, just not quite the "rabbit from the hat" gun that some of us are lucky enough to get occasionally.

I'm very happy with it, and for the first time, probably won't try to correct it...just swap correct parts onto it if they're handy, and scavenge the parts on it for other guns (I ordered an HRA FG and an HRA SG in mid-April, the order just opened on the E-store last week). It should make for a real nice shooter.

The only real flaw in the stock was this little carving, should mostly steam out, but I'm not going to fret too much about it:

The S/N looks off-center, is this typical of this S/N range? (i.e. it looks like there should be another digit in front):

Last edited by dpd3672; 07-14-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:10 PM

Great report!
Thanks!
Old 07-14-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
Great report and pics Dave!!! Thanks Did you notice if they have gotten any 7.62X51 ammo yet?
I didn't ask about it specifically, but I generally ask if they have anything "off the menu" at the counter. They didn't mention it, just the AP and Carbine ammo.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:15 PM

Thank you for this informative thread.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:17 PM

And why you should really get ME/TE gauges if you're shopping at the stores:

The tag (2+ME/3+TE, which is actually pretty decent for a FG/shooter):

What my gauges say (1+ME/3, maybe a little above or below 3 at the TE, depending on how you read the gauge):

Last edited by dpd3672; 07-14-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the report! And yes, a very nice FG. Something anyone would be happy with. So no more Winnie SG's? I'm glad I got one the first day open after the truck came in. Got to shoot it today and it shoots pretty good; very happy! And thanks again for the report.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbasuwannee View Post
Thanks for the report! And yes, a very nice FG. Something anyone would be happy with. So no more Winnie SG's? I'm glad I got one the first day open after the truck came in. Got to shoot it today and it shoots pretty good; very happy! And thanks again for the report.
No sir, and I was VERY disappointed, as a WRA/WRA is something I've been hoping for since I started going to the store...I've never seen a WRA barrel, in about 10 or 20 trips over the last few years. To hear the racks were full of them, and to not be able to make the trip, about killed me!

Congrats on yours, I am green with envy!

Old 07-14-2013, 04:19 PM

Yea, that's what everyone's been saying, that they're pretty rare. I just went there hoping to get my first WRA in whatever they had available, i.e. BR or FG, whatever. I was pleasantly surprised! Good luck on your search.