Default modern military M1a

are these recoil pads legal ?
https://www.fulton-armory.com/buttpl...ndition-1.aspx
Old 03-11-2019, 01:18 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
Hey Mac,
I'm not exactly sure what to tell you on the butt plate. My argument would be that the M14/M1A is not a 9 pound rifle. Yes, the program for the M14 was called (light rifle program) but, in my opinion & reading that kind of lost its way over the years of development.

My standard Springfield Inc. M1A GI parts & Winny barrel from 1991 with a thin early type GI walnut stock is 9.6 pounds no mag, no sling. Over the fall winter of 2018 I had a JRA/Bula receiver put together with an all GI parts kit, standard Criterion barrel and GI fiberglass stock and that comes in at 9.1 pounds.

Let me say I was rather displeased with the change to the weight in the MM B class as I had specked out both my rifles to be under 10 pounds not 9 an was looking forward to using my new JRA M14 this season and adhering to the rules in the spirit of the games. That seems to be all out the window now because I refuse to make any further modification to a rifle that I have already spent well over $1500 procuring parts and labor to assemble.

I will "run what a brung" as they say to Butner and Vermont. If they choose to put me in MM unlimited for 1.oz or put me out of competition for over weight then so be it.

As you say "fun stuff" It ought to be very interesting at the inspection tables this year !

David H.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:21 PM

Yup same thing, dropped the coin on the dupage kit and built a rifle for a slim chance of getting to VT games....now Im to fat. i think I will make weight with out any big money spent. This butt plate is very light but its a cheap pos and a bit slick?
I got my AR down to weight but that gun was old and high round count so it was not a big deal. Plus I did not like the brake on it.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:33 PM

My Mia makes weight now....took some small parts swapping and used my lightest stock
Old 04-18-2019, 09:30 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
My Mia makes weight now....took some small parts swapping and used my lightest stock
Same here.Took the butt plate apart and removed the outer hinged buttplate,roll pin,spring and ball bearing and to my suprise took 3oz off the GI fiberglass stock. So we're down under fighting weight now at 8lbs 14oz
Old 04-20-2019, 03:09 PM

I have a restored USGI M14 stock with some nice figure and a sharp cartouche. Would it be legal to cut out the center of the buttstock, a little like this but otherwise standard contour:

Would the hole make it illegal? Push to unlimited?
Old 04-20-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
I have a restored USGI M14 stock with some nice figure and a sharp cartouche. Would it be legal to cut out the center of the buttstock, a little like this but otherwise standard contour:

The unlimited class is usually the catch all for anything that falls outside the “as issued” confines. However, I’ve never seen anything that heavily modified. I would run that by the CMP competition folks for a ruling since it is such a drastic mod.

Jim
Old 04-20-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsudduth View Post
The unlimited class is usually the catch all for anything that falls outside the “as issued” confines. However, I’ve never seen anything that heavily modified. I would run that by the CMP competition folks for a ruling since it is such a drastic mod.

Jim
Modern Military Class A and Class B are not "As Issued" rifles

rule 5.2.3 and 5.2.4 < going on memory so might be a bit off.

If you read the rules for "class B" it has to make weight, trigger pull and Iron sights....SO one could argue that a thumb hole , pistol grip, chasis system stock on a M1a that makes weight is good to go.

oh wait though theres the " intent and spirit" thing they will toss around sometimes.To try and make the rules do something ? Will they toss a AK 47 platform based design to unlimitted because it has its "from the factory" thumb hole stock" or maybe one with the "AR 15 style stock kit"

Have fun with these new rules, I made 2 rifles to comply---well I think I did IF I happen to make it to VT games this year.

Last edited by mac1911; 04-20-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post

This is a joke - right?
Old 04-21-2019, 06:35 AM

All modern military rifles have to meet 5.2.2 which in part states:

“The exterior configuration of the rifle must be similar to that of the original military or military-type rifle...”

Then the rules go on to define exceptions to the standard modern military rifle for the unlimited class.

“...or a Class B Modern Military Rifle that does not fully comply with Rule 5.2.4 (weight limit and/or sights). The following rules apply to Unlimited Modern Military Rifles:”

Then the rules go on to describe the sights and weight definitions.

So my interpretation is that the mod the poster was describing would significantly alter the exterior configuration such that getting a clear answer from the competitions folks at the CMP would be the way to go. Far better than showing up at a big match and being told you have to shoot out of competition.