Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2019, 04:34 PM

Default 1903a4 drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Dexter View Post
Who got the 1903A4 drill rifle??? Inquiring minds want the details...
Unknown, it was there at opening and gone at closing. It was one of the nicest 1903 drill rifles I have seen... my guess is it will be back in action again....
Old 08-02-2019, 05:20 PM

Thank you PH68 for the advice yesterday when I pm'ed you(I just realized I did it with the wrong account by accident). I ended up showing up at 6am to make sure I got a good spot and ended up getting a nice rock island 1903 and the 1903a4 drill rifle. If anyone has any questions or curiosities about either let me know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH68 View Post
Unknown, it was there at opening and gone at closing. It was one of the nicest 1903 drill rifles I have seen... my guess is it will be back in action again....
Old 08-02-2019, 05:37 PM

Default Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganolson217 View Post
Thank you PH68 for the advice yesterday when I pm'ed you(I just realized I did it with the wrong account by accident). I ended up showing up at 6am to make sure I got a good spot and ended up getting a nice rock island 1903 and the 1903a4 drill rifle. If anyone has any questions or curiosities about either let me know!
If I remember correctly I think the nice Rock Island was very near to the A4 which I saw yesterday at closing.... you picked up two gems, congratulations. Tom
Old 08-02-2019, 05:38 PM

Congratulations! Please tell us about the welds on your A4. Even though it is torture, I would love to hear more about it. How was the stock? A4 stock or bolt? Thanks!
Old 08-02-2019, 05:41 PM

When I was looking there were a few rock islands on the end. I ended up with a nice 1918 with a 1933 barrel that was gauged 0/1 that hard a dark bore that I actually already have cleaned and it looks beautiful.
[/B]
Quote:
If I remember correctly I think the nice Rock Island was very near to the A4 which I saw yesterday at closing.... you picked up two gems, congratulations. Tom
Old 08-02-2019, 05:43 PM

Default A4

Quote:
Congratulations! Please tell us about the welds on your A4. Even though it is torture, I would love to hear more about it. How was the stock? A4 stock or bolt? Thanks!
I will leave to new owner to fill in blanks but highlights;

Very nice stock with cartouche.
Light weld in cutoff
Rod in barrel not heated, just a rod
Light weld on bolt face
Old 08-02-2019, 05:48 PM

There seems to be a very minor barrel weld and on the cutoff the weld only was on the left side of the cutoff with very little to no penetration so I think it will on day be back on the range. Looks like it has an unoriginal stock with a hairline crack and a replacement bolt. Now just to hunt for parts and a nice barrel to save this old girl.
Quote:
Old 08-02-2019, 06:26 PM

man I wish I was in distance to grab an A4. You folks living single digit hour drives away are blessed indeed.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:29 PM

Yep, torture... Almost drove through the night at a chance to get it but chickened out. Glad to hear you will be able to recover it. Please post pictures when you get it done.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:52 PM

A question possibly better suited for the 1903 forum but on the drill rifle, when I dissasembled it under the handguard it had what looked like Scotch tape wrapped around the barrel in two places. I can't think of a reason why it would be there. Also, why would they deactivate a 1903a4 with how many 1903a3 there are. You would think they would hold onto the snipers considering how they were still being used in Vietnam and in rare cases even longer...
Quote:
I will leave to new owner to fill in blanks but highlights;

Very nice stock with cartouche.
Light weld in cutoff
Rod in barrel not heated, just a rod
Light weld on bolt face