Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2019, 06:44 AM

Default Weird “scratches” on stock.

I have an early Rock Ola high wood, I cut stock. It has some odd scratches. Someone at some point used who’s knows what and went against the grain on the stock. It’s not all over just in certain areas. The stock does have a Raritan RA-P stamp. I did find a past sale of a Rock Ola (different rifle) on GB that had very similar scrapes or scratches. Why on God’s green earth did someone do this?

https://imgur.com/a/aOpCrF0
Old 08-29-2019, 07:23 AM

From being racked like these, maybe???

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...-rack-usa-army
Old 08-29-2019, 07:31 AM

I would say maybe, but there is light uniform scratches across the belly of the stock, so that kinda knocks that idea. It’s like someone used a large grit paper on both sides of stock the belly, and around the I cut. And it’s just lightly touched with it, it’s not like someone is trying to hide dings or gouges. Weird. I just show one photo of one side of the stock but those scratches are the same on the other side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Hunter View Post
From being racked like these, maybe???

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...-rack-usa-army
Old 08-29-2019, 08:03 AM

Arsenal sanding can be rather indiscriminate. They were not real concerned with the beauty of the stock. Had one with heavy diagonal cross sanding over the whole thing.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:25 AM

That’s what I was wondering could be going on here. Either way. I guess with this being a fairly desirable stock it would be best to not try to fix those? I am content with leaving it alone, especially if the thought it is was possibly from Arsenal work. I know, who knows what really has happen to a 76 year old stock.

The rest of the carbine has been nearly corrected which I know some frown on. The only thing I do not like is I believe the buttplate is a Rock Ola reproduction, the Recoil plate while it looks quality stuff looks just too nice too me but maybe it is NOS, I dunno. Also the mag release looks to me to be a Rock Ola Repro. The only part I can’t figure out is the op rod. If anyone else has any ideas on the stock let me know.
Here is some other pics of the carbine.
https://imgur.com/a/jfHsQMn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSnlB28 View Post
Arsenal sanding can be rather indiscriminate. They were not real concerned with the beauty of the stock. Had one with heavy diagonal cross sanding over the whole thing.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:40 AM

The slide is Inland and very possibility correct for your carbine. I would not change it out. And it is true your mag catch does not have the same wear as the trigger housing.

Last edited by 6 Ring; 08-29-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:44 AM

Thanks Roger! I have been meaning to call and talk to you about this one but every time I think I can set aside time for a call my wife advises me otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Ring View Post
The slide is Inland and very possibility correct for your carbine. I would not change it out.

Last edited by BillySteph; 08-29-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:20 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSnlB28 View Post
+1
The prime contractors were not really concerned either!
Old 08-29-2019, 10:05 PM

So, I guess it’s really a non issue. I kinda thought it may have came from contractor or Arsenal this way because you can kinda see wear over the scratches and they seem to have been there for years. So I am not gonna touch it. It does seem on the dry side though. What would be the best to wipe it down with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Brass View Post
+1
The prime contractors were not really concerned either!
Old 08-29-2019, 10:09 PM

RAW Linseed Oil