Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2010, 06:04 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to jordanls19
Default M1A1 Stock

Since I was out done at the auction this week end I've decided to Build my own M1A1. Numrich has these stocks and I was wondering if anyone has bought one and are they worth it. They seem to have the best price but not if they are cheap junk.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:32 PM

In the past I've purchased a Numrich's M1A1 stock. Decent stock with no problems!

rg

Member:
NRA established 1871 www.nra.org
GCA established 1985 www.thegca.org
Carbine Club est. 1976 www.carbineclub.com
Old 02-08-2010, 06:42 PM

I have one from Northridge.

I've heard that this one from Northridge, and the ones from the likes of Numrich all come from the same maker in Europe.

I put a CMP Inland racker in it, went with a repro rear flipper and repro typ1 bb from CTD.

Others I've spoken too said it dropped right in.
Wood wise, that was true for me

Great looking stock and wood, feels very solid.
I'd buy it again.
It wasn't 100% perfect - trouble free, but nothing too bad.... my plans took care of most of the real problems anyway.
(as well as the problems with my racker, bent front sight, rear sight falling out of the dovetail inspite of all the attempts someone made at "staking" it "well".)

Problems I had.
-Recoil plate was socked down too tight.
-Lock up when the wire frame was unfolded was marginal.
-With the typ3 BB, the spring didn't line up with the hole in the BB. about 1/8 low, and pulled the barrel to the right.
-Front BB spring, the edge wasn't defined well at all. It was rounded on both front and rear of the "blob" of metal at the end of the spring, and a small blob at that, wasn't worth trying to file and edge into.

I had to take out the main screw that runs through the rear of the stock, down through the pistol grip and into the bottom assy. Very long and narrow slit, needed to make a tool from some thick sheetmetal .

Once I had that screw out and could get the top cover plate off, I could loosen the recoil plate screw, get the inland seated, tighten the recoil plate screw as one would, put the main screw back in and tighten.
With some hankering down on that main screw with my home made tool, the lockup of the wire frame when folded out, was much better.

The pix are before I got the front sight off, and changed the BB. The front sight was well rusted on.

I also changed out the front BB spring that came with the m1a1 stock to a USGI NOS, so the larger and better defined edge engaged the typ1 BB better.

With the typ1 BB, there's no slot to line up with the spring, just the front edge of the BB, so the spring being low, no longer mattered.
If I didn't change the front BB, I would have had to open the slot up on the BB to line up with the low BB spring, so the barrel wouldn't be pulled to the right due to rotating/forcing the slot in the BB to line up and accept the BB spring.

Either way, the BB spring that came with the stock had to go, POS.

Last edited by ramit; 02-08-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:48 PM

I like you "paratrooper". Can I be so bold as to ask how much you have in it. Just a ballpark figure is fine.

Fortes Fortuna juvat

2nd Bn, 3rd Marines

Buy now worry about later, later.--Bob Moore, 12/10

My feedback thread http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ghlight=dstout 50+ positives before it was destroyed
Old 02-08-2010, 08:08 PM

Here is mine:

http://www.thecmp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4141
Old 02-08-2010, 09:15 PM

tnx,
I have the cmp racker.

I bought the basic parts (typ1 bb, rear flipper, m1a1 stock) from a buddy for just the price of the stock, $200.
But he told me where he got the stuff recently.
Northridge for the stock $200
CTD for the type 1 BB and flipper rear, (both repro's) 20bux each one.
I paid 7 bux for nos usgi push button safety.
I have a nos usgi front sight for it, if the original bent one still just isn't right, 20bux.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:34 PM

cool, thanks for the info....My son and I are going to the SS at the end of March. Hopefully there will be some Inlands left. I forsee one for each of us.

Fortes Fortuna juvat

2nd Bn, 3rd Marines

Buy now worry about later, later.--Bob Moore, 12/10

My feedback thread http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ghlight=dstout 50+ positives before it was destroyed
Old 02-08-2010, 10:25 PM

very cool happy hunting....
Old 02-09-2010, 10:02 AM

I'd love to be able to make an awesome repro M1A1, but that seems pretty unlikely here in New York State, haha! Oh well.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:41 AM

Don't remember where I saw the ad, but a while back somebody was selling reproduction M1A1 "Highwood " paratrooper stocks...Would like to find that ad again.....Highwood would really be cool on an early Inland.....