X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • optic1960
    • Feb 2010

S&B 30-06 180 Gr FMJ

20 round box of 30-06 Springfield 180 Grain FMJ Ammo By Sellier & Bellot, has anyone tried these in their garand good or bad? thanks
  • Jakeroub
    • Dec 2016

Does the box specifically say that it is for use in Garands?

Comment

• optic1960
      • Feb 2010

no

Comment

• optic1960
        • Feb 2010

I have shot tons of all kinds of ammo in 50 years thur my Garand never had a problem just looking to see if its a good target round

Comment

• ROC
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by optic1960 View Post
          20 round box of 30-06 Springfield 180 Grain FMJ Ammo By Sellier & Bellot, has anyone tried these in their garand good or bad? thanks
          I use the S&B 150 gr. Ammo. It is engineered for these old rifles and shoots nice tight groups consistently. Usually get it from MidwayUSA.

Comment

• MGMKS
            • Feb 2012

S&B 150gr was a joy for me. Even with old eyes and no muscle memory - was able to do this on the 200yd target late Jan 2019 at TMP.

Comment

• ROC
              • Sep 2017

That's really nice shooting. I have just purchased the correct targets to start shooting 200 yds plus and hoping I can match that.

Comment

• ZvenoMan
                • May 2011

Originally posted by Ronwall
                S&B is good Garand ammo. $300+ship per 500 rd can below.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/30-06...nd-ammo-pp3006
                Your link is for 150gr S&B "Garand" ammo; OP was asking about 180gr S&B ammo (not Garand).

Many people suggest commercial ammo over 150 gr be avoided (other than that marked specifically for Garand use, such as many 168 gr) based on years of data regarding pressure related issues damaging OpRods.
                Many people also suggest if it functions shoot it.
                Plenty of info out there, OP must decide what to do with his rifle based on his own research. Kind of like shooting a LN 1903, but different

That is a good price, I bought a can of it from SG a few weeks ago.
                Their daily emails are horrible, cost me way too much $$$.
                While a smart consumer will shop around, and I do, I order from SG more than the others, combined.
                JH
                Zvenoman

Comment

• Red Devil
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by ZvenoMan View Post
                  Your link is for 150gr S&B "Garand" ammo; OP was asking about 180gr S&B ammo (not Garand).

Many people suggest commercial ammo over 150 gr be avoided (other than that marked specifically for Garand use, such as many 168 gr) based on years of data regarding pressure related issues damaging OpRods.
                  Many people also suggest if it functions shoot it.
                  Plenty of info out there, OP must decide what to do with his rifle based on his own research. Kind of like shooting a LN 1903, but different

That is a good price, I bought a can of it from SG a few weeks ago.
                  Their daily emails are horrible, cost me way too much $$$.
                  While a smart consumer will shop around, and I do, I order from SG more than the others, combined.
                  JH
                  The link is actually to PPU M2 ball ammo.

Red
                  Peace, ...through Marksmanship...

Comment

• jimthompson502002
                    • Nov 2009

It would take something really horrible to damage your rifle in a mere 20 rounds.

Moroever, I shot S&B for over a decade before it became common, mainly in my .308 Garands, but also in .30/06, without a belch. That includes 180-grain.

Also shot Finnish and German commercial with 180+ grain bullets without damage, albeit recoil stiffens.

The literature is right. Rumors are just homeless blarney.

AND NO, bullets over 150 grains are not "forbidden". The M1 was re-designed around M1 ball with its nominal 173 grain projectile and far slower powder than anything commercially loaded now.

Facts are facts. And the valid literature is valid. Anecdotes are unauthenticated tales, unless witnessed and supported and verified and corroborated. Even then....
                    No good deed goes unpunished!

Comment

• pickax
                      • Jan 2011

Seems to me 180 gr. is pushing the op rod and springs. You can smooth out the pulse with this plug. http://www.garandgear.com/ported-gas-plug.html
                      Also look at the testing they have done with assorted commercial ammo from the main page.

Comment

• hogfamily
                        • Apr 2018

The CMP M1 manual says that you can shoot up to 180grn bullets.

No special gas plug needed.

Comment

Working...
                        X