Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun3 View Post
That M1D is a Winchester - and "rough finish" is an understatement - it looks like someone carved it with a chainsaw. The rifle looked nice, though.

I just couldn't get past that stock.
That one won’t slip out of your hands for sure!
Old 06-24-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH68 View Post
There were 51 rifles at closing and store wasn’t restocked during the day.

CMP Specials, 1 HRA.

IHC FG 15

WRA FG 12

SA FG 1, RG 3

HRA FG 1, RG 1

Other rifles remain about the same.

Good luck on your searches.
Are these numbers representative of rifles sold?
Old 06-24-2018, 05:24 PM

Default Rifles

There were 75 at opening and 51 at closing so 24 were sold or relocated by store staff. Not to fill mail order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Are these numbers representative of rifles sold?
Old 06-24-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
How often do they replenish the shelves? Thinking about taking a trip from Houston.
I'm about 1.5 hours north of you and have thought of going myself. Long, long drive with possibly no luck of a well stocked shelf. If I go, it might when the latest influx of garands start hitting the shelves. Just my two cents.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:41 PM

Default Hackberry Stocks

Any word on the Hackberry stocks as far as long term continued use. I've bought one FG with a Hackberry stock and was not satisfied with it at all. I didn't buy the rifle for the stock I bought it because it was a really nice rifle for a FG. The stock looked like it was finished by a 3 year old and felt like it was sanded with a brick. I refinished it and it took the stain well and although it looked good, I still didn't like it because it looked more like a stock that should have been on a hunting rifle.
So I ended up purchasing a CMP walnut stock set and the rifle looks right and looks good. The down side is I now have more invested than if I had bought a SG rifle. I don't think I would buy another Hackberry stocked rifle unless it was something truly special. Does anyone know if they are here to stay.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1aggie01 View Post
I'm about 1.5 hours north of you and have thought of going myself. Long, long drive with possibly no luck of a well stocked shelf. If I go, it might when the latest influx of garands start hitting the shelves. Just my two cents.
Could you imagine a roadtrip to Anniston together? A Longhorn and an Aggie sharing a car for 10 and a half hours.... lol!

The advice about awaiting new rifles is good advice. What is the forecast looking like?
Old 06-24-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desteig View Post
Any word on the Hackberry stocks as far as long term continued use. Does anyone know if they are here to stay.
The newest Garand is what, 61 years old, and the oldest is 80+. Stocks are the only part that's organic; they are becoming rare.
CMP wants to move these as quick as possible with the smallest investment. If they raised the price of the rifles by $140 or so to cover a nice walnut how do you think that would work?

The hackberrys are perfectly shootable and some have found refinishing them makes them look much better. If someone could market a better looking stock i that price range to CMP they would do pretty well.
JH