Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2018, 08:01 PM

They are looking great. I have learned a lot going thru your tips. Great resource. Thanks for posting this.
Looking For SA #2465125 #3740941 S&W #AHD6840
Semi-Retired LEO
NRA Life Member
Old 06-26-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWins View Post
They are looking great. I have learned a lot going thru your tips. Great resource. Thanks for posting this.
Thank you sir. These do have character. Some of the foreign ones are really looking nice. That stripey one I am trying to hide in the pictures is not for sale

It may be nicer than one of my M14 stocks.

But not this one

JH
Old 07-04-2018, 07:35 PM

What better way to celebrate "Merca than working on stocks?

I finished sanding the 4 pins in the 1903A3 stock. I used a dremel with sanding drum to get the brass down to the wood, then finished with sandpaper on a block. Hint: as you get closer with the dremel, turn the speed down so it goes slower.

I found a small chip in the heel so I decided to try superglue. I filled the depression with superglue, placed a pinch of dust on it and pressed, then sprayed accelerator. I sanded immediately with a block, found a few low spots so I repeated. Total was about 10 minutes to repair it,

I then sanded the stock with a pad sander and 150 grit paper. I had already sanded the stock, this step was to get it all matching as my sanding on the pins and gouges had resulted in some smoother areas.
Here is the result after a wipe down with a cloth.

Now I have started on the stain. This is USSR stain, available here:
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=27670
Consider supporting your fellow hobbiest forum members. Just saying.

It's easy to apply (a folded square of paper towel). Middle looks a bit dark in the picture, and the front of course has no stain. The cartouches popped out nicely. I took no special precautions, I just avoided them during most work and carefully sanded around them, and a few passes over them with the pad sander.
To get the color to match just keep rubbing, adding a drop of stain when needed. I buffed with a cloth when done; I'll check tomorrow and touch up if needed, and start the oiling.

Happy Independence Day.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:41 AM

Here is the repaired stock after the stain has dried.

Color is smooth and even.
Here is is next to an untouched, unoiled CMP (Boyds?) C-stock.

The USSR stain is nearly black in the bottle, it goes on smooth and in my opinion has a good amount of red.

JH
Old 07-08-2018, 05:34 PM

Here are some from the 1st batch; I'm calling these done.
2- 10 top to bottom

2 is the winner in this group; barely used, crisp DAS stamp. It was cracked in half through the left magwell; an easy and solid repair. Almost impossible to see on the outside.
5 is interesting; very smooth with a spliced heel and some filled slices on the bottom. Lots of character.

6-9 top to bottom

6 and 9 have Dane markings, 9 has the custom soldier-made "checkering" on the pistol grip.

10-13 top to bottom

11 is a nice birch stock. 12 is foreign, very dense and heavy; would be an excellent stock to bed. It's not soaking up oil. 13 is a nice dirty (that's all woodgrain, not actual dirt) birch. I tried to darken it with stain, no real effect. It's starting to grow on me.
Look for these on the for sale forum soon.
JH
Old 11-30-2019, 06:39 PM

Zvenoman is back.
We moved to a nice mountaintop Zvenohome in the spring (2019) and between work and other domestic pursuits I am just now getting the milsurp workshop setup. Taking 3 weeks of vacation; long overdue.

I made some racks for a few Garand stocks

I made a few other racks

Room doubles as a storm shelter, it's underground and alarmed and the wood-and-steel firearms now have their own space.
I have another workshop for non-firearm pursuits, with a taller ceiling as well.
Looking forward to getting back to milsurp work, and soon the smell of BLO will make it perfect.
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 02-25-2020, 09:11 PM

It's been a while.
I was strolling through the LGS and look, a squirrel.....
Snagged a neat Savage-Stevens 87H .22 tube fed. These "gill guns" were made from the 30s through the 50s. I knew nothing about them or the value so of course bought it. I have a soft spot for cheap neglected rimfires and always wanted a tube fed (I also want a lever gun, send karma my way). Later research shows them to be nice rimfires and I got a good deal. 24" barrel and a nice condition Ajax 4x vintage scope.
Of course the stock looked like it had potential.
I took it apart, small parts in the ultrasonic, swabbed and coated with Hoppes and the next day it cleaned up great, bore looked perfect and bluing is great.
I stripped the stock (citrusstrip from WM), it took 2 sessions, coat-set (1 hr)-scrub with scotchbrite under water hose. Strangely it did not raise the grain at all, no sanding required (I figured I'd need to smooth the fibers). Stock wood looks like walnut, nice color and grain. I gave it a week (it needed 1 day but I was lazy) to dry and rubbed in 1 coat of Fairtrimmers Military Ox oil. Glad I stocked up, I don't think it is available anymore. 1 coat was all it needed. The 2 coats of BLO-Turp, sit for 30 min then wipe, dry 1 hr then repeat. Then 2-3 coats of 100% BLO, same method. Last pic is next day after all that dried. This weekend (when I see it in the daylight) I will evaluate, maybe done, maybe more oil or maybe Tom's 1/3 wax.
It's interesting, most of the cheap rimfires I have picked up had the ugly spray on tinted varnish yet had nice looking wood underneath.
I had no intention of doing anything but cleaning it up and finding it a new home, but of course I'll probably keep it. So far my sell rate on these projects has been 0% (due to not wanting to move them out).
Note the pic rubbing on the Fairtrimmers looks dark (it is), but most rubs off. You use it just like BLO, rub in, let sit 30-60 min then wipe dry.

Last edited by ZvenoMan; 02-28-2020 at 07:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-02-2020, 09:35 PM

Well, 2020 is coming to a close. Whatever.
I have been busy (thanks Covid) around the house.
Complete remodel of basement workshop #2. I also began kitchen remodel so when I replaced the dishwasher I inherited a greasy Garand Stock Cleaning Appliance.
A few months ago I tried a mass stock cleaning by filling a few tubs of water/Purple Power and soaking/scrubbing stocks. Took many hours to clean a batch, and not clean enough given the work. Just need the hot water; the stocks from Dupage are dirty (as advertised).
I ran a T off my dishwasher line and snaked a hose out the window to my old dishwasher I setup in the back yard (I plan to have all the stocks cleaned in about a month, then the hose will be gone and the dishwasher to the dump). If I was in a better neighborhood I'd put this on the front steps.
I ran a few loads of the foreign stocks, other than they are covered with cosmoline (and thus need more work than the dishwasher) all else is working. I will start with the USGI stocks, they are filthy and greasy but no cosmoline (the wax residue is easy to see).
Today I setup the assembly line.
1. Many of the stocks had buttplates. They were sold "without"; these buttplates are worn and in all cases the screws were worn so they couldn't be easily removed. I pulled about 70 that had buttplates, was able to get about 5 off. Then I got out the Dremel and used a cutting wheel to slot the worn screws. All but 5 were easily removed, the stubborn ones are soaking in Mouse Milk.
2. I loaded a tub with HOT water and a few cups of Purple Power. Immersed about 20 stocks, and scrubbed after a few minutes. Note condition of tub water at end of the day, 20-30 stocks went through.
3. 4 stocks fit in the dishwasher. I spray each heavily with a water/Purple Power (50/50) mix and place in the tray. Then pour in about a cup of Purple Power and run a load.
4. Most stocks are done after 1 load, a few need to go again.
5. After drying they are very clean, and very smooth. I have found the dishwasher will raise many of the dents and dings, and it will 100% leave cartouches and graffiti. A light sanding and these are ready to repair or refinish.

Using a dishwasher is controversial. I was skeptical, and had restored dozens of stocks without using one (of course 99% of my milsurps are waaaay too long to fit anyway). When I received my pallet from Dupage I decided to test a few. I tried several different soaps/cleaners (and none), and played with the heat and dry settings in the dishwasher. My results show that cartouches (and any graffiti/carving) remains sharp in spite of the heat/steam raising a significant amount of dents, scratches and damage. It leaves them as clean as I used to get using many other methods.
I would NOT do this to a collectible stock, but look at these 4; they all went through the dishwasher, had a light sanding to smooth them up (2 +/- minutes/stock) and a few coats of BLO. You don't have to look hard to see the markings.

I was skeptical, but one of the reasons I wanted to buy these from Dupage; ignore the internet rumors and just try it. For these types of stocks, I am convinced it is a great tool.

My plan:
I will clean the stocks, grade and organize and begin selling them shortly. If you "need one sooner" just message me. My plan is to list them in an unfinished state, with basic details: Cartouche, Proof P, repairs, rack numbers, graffiti, and of course damage. Then if a buyer wants I will apply a finish, perform any additional repair, or let them do all of that.
Regarding Rack Numbers, if painted on I will leave them. I am happy to remove later if the buyer wants. Some people like these, but once purchased do what you want (or ask me). If the rack number is just taped on (see below) I will remove it.

Here are some pics:

Hi tech Garand Stock Cleaner:

Buttplate removal:

So far I have found a few pull throughs and cleaning items like these. No money, rubies or other treasures yet.

Rack numbers I remove. A bit of GooGone and scotchbrite and the adhesive is gone, ready for the cleaning process:

Rack numbers I leave for the buyer to decide:

More to follow;
JH

Last edited by ZvenoMan; 12-02-2020 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:00 PM

Buttplates removed, in queue for cleaning:

Stock water: Hot water and about 2-3 cups of Purple Power. This is after cleaning about 20 or so stocks:

Here are 4 about 30 min after getting out of the dishwasher. I air dry them in the shade, turn over once. These are ready to be inspected (the lot I purchased was advertised as "cracked, dirty stocks"; so far about 10% max have damage needing repair. So once clean they will be inspected, lightly sanded if needed, repaired if needed, and numbered and graded so I can list them. I will check lockup too, can't list for sale without that.

Of the US stocks (175 or so) here are some observations:
Most (>75%) have been sanded so the pistol grip is rounded.
10-25% have a "proof P".
Few (5-10%) have a visible cartouche.
Some (10-25%) have graffiti and/or designs carved.
10-15% have painted rack numbers.
15-30% have a recess in the pistol grip where a stock disk was, and/or a serial number stamped, usually on the bottom:

Of the USGI stocks, the worst looks like a well used USGI walnut stock. There are some with some excellent coloring and/or grain but most are just good solid USGI stocks.

Of the 225 I have, about 40 are not USGI. I have cleaned and refinished a few; what remains is similar. These are generally VERY dense wood, so very heavy, and seem to be never sanded/oversize in some cases. Very little use, damage or marks. These would make excellent shooter stocks or for bedding. Covered in cosmoline, so more work for me to clean. Here is a sample of the foreign stocks:

It will be some weeks before I have them sorted and ready to sell, but hit me up if you need one for Santa and I will see what I can do.
I plan to sell here, maybe some on FB. I will try a few on eBay but unless they go for crazy money I'd prefer to avoid the fees and hassle.
Not looking for any specific trades (except maybe a 1903A3 Smith Corona barrel in good used shape; 9-43 +/- even better) but worth a try.
I have no handguards or leads on any, and these will be sold without metal (but I may throw in a well worn buttplate while they last, worth at least $.75).

Dupage did me well, as expected, and I was able to sit on these for some time after buying them, now I have some time so expect to see some movement. I can supply just cleaned, repaired (if needed) and inspected/graded and ready for you to apply any stain and whatever finish you want, or I can apply one of several period correct finishes.

JH

Last edited by ZvenoMan; 12-02-2020 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:53 AM

Hah...I thought this thread was going to be about the S&P500/NASDAQ.

Great posts though!