Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2015, 09:35 AM

It's an Ammunition Box!
Old 06-07-2015, 10:05 AM

Default ammo. find

your a lucky man, wish I could find that kind of stuff at sales.

Last edited by packrat2; 06-07-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:14 AM

Sometimes I wish i never found it lol. Now i am broke but happy! Now for the really big question... do I open it or sit on it for future collector value?

Formerly of Paradise, California. No matter where I put up my hat, Paradise will always be home.

“May the eternal light shine upon you; May the angels lead you to Paradise.”
Old 06-07-2015, 04:30 PM

I wouldn't open it. If you do, you will ruin some collector value as now all you have is the ammo in bandos. Corrosive ammo is less desirable then regular ball ammo. You may get someone to pay a premium for a bando of the ammo, but then, you're selling to a collector, who would likely pay more for the unopened can.

Now if you want to open and shoot the ammo, well, that's up to you. I guess it just depends on what you want to do with the ammo. If you picked it up cheap enough and want the experience of opening the can and shooting usgi surplus, who am I to say that is wrong?

If it were me, I'd sell it to a collector and take the proceeds and buy PPU/HXP ammo and shoot more.

There isn't really a wrong choice.

Good luck!
Old 06-07-2015, 07:53 PM

the crate with the shipping label would certainly be a treasure for a collector I'd think
Old 07-06-2015, 09:12 PM

Default ammo find

Hope you don't mind me responding to this thread since I'm new here, but maybe I can shed more light on your crate.

I have an open spam can similar to yours, and my lot # is SL9078. The head stamp is SL 45, and the bandoleer is khaki, unmarked, with a lot code card in a pocket. The lot number on your crate, and spam cans, is early 1945 manufacture, before the plants started ink stamping lot numbers on the outside of the bandoleers. I also verified that your lot number is 1945 manufacture with my copy of SB 9-AMM 4 (War Dept. Supply Bulletin - Small Arms Ammunition).

Hope this helps. Charlie
Old 07-06-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverplate View Post
Hope you don't mind me responding to this thread since I'm new here, but maybe I can shed more light on your crate.

I have an open spam can similar to yours, and my lot # is SL9078. The head stamp is SL 45, and the bandoleer is khaki, unmarked, with a lot code card in a pocket. The lot number on your crate, and spam cans, is early 1945 manufacture, before the plants started ink stamping lot numbers on the outside of the bandoleers. I also verified that your lot number is 1945 manufacture with my copy of SB 9-AMM 4 (War Dept. Supply Bulletin - Small Arms Ammunition).

Hope this helps. Charlie
You my friend have given me lots of info to think about. I appreciate that. Do you happen to know the manufacturer of the Clips? And would you happen to have any pics of the bandleers and ammo? I am curious about what it looks like without opening mine! and final question.... is the copy of SB 9-AMM 4 digital/where can i get one?

Formerly of Paradise, California. No matter where I put up my hat, Paradise will always be home.

“May the eternal light shine upon you; May the angels lead you to Paradise.”
Old 07-07-2015, 09:19 AM

The clip maker could only be determined by removing them from the bandoleers. The ammo was packed in whatever clips were in the plant at the time. And like the ammo, there were numerous manufacturers cranking them out. The St. Louis plant started production in late 1941, so lots of ammo was packed there during and after the war.

As to a source of the publications, for me it was an internet crap shoot. I have a copy of OFSB 3-5 (Ordnance Field Service Bulletin) dated Jan. 44, and the SB 9-AMM 4 is the same document with a different name, dated July 46. The former ends with 1943 lot numbers, the latter ends with 1945 lot numbers and some repack numbers. Digital copies did not exist when I looked several years ago, but I did find these 2 manuals by accident. They weren't cheap, but they have been priceless as I search for crates, cans, and boxes for my collection.

Sorry for the ramble. I do enjoy this stuff.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:24 AM

I'll see if I can figure out how to post photos here, later this week, so you can see what's inside.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:09 PM

Here is a link to my photos showing what would be in your cans. The extra lot card in one photo is a replica I had made of the original, and sell to re-enactors and collectors for displays.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Charlie

Last edited by silverplate; 07-30-2015 at 09:20 PM.