Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2015, 09:14 PM

I'm a slow learner, but I finally got a link to work that shows several photos of the St. Louis spam can and bandoleer that will be very similar to what is inside your cans. One of the photos also shows the replica lot cards that I made, matching the original that is in this bandoleer. Hope this helps. Regards, Charlie
Old 07-30-2015, 09:35 PM

Last edited by Big_Red; 08-05-2015 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Combine photos
Old 07-30-2015, 10:28 PM

Awesome!!! That gives me a great idea of what I have! Any idea if the Clips are all the same manu?

Formerly of Paradise, California. No matter where I put up my hat, Paradise will always be home.

“May the eternal light shine upon you; May the angels lead you to Paradise.”
Old 07-31-2015, 05:04 AM

All of my clips are the same manufacturer - Northwest Metal Products (NW) so it's reasonable to assume that yours are all the same as well. However, the only way to really answer that question is to open the cans and look. There were dozens of clip manufacturers at that time.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:43 PM

If you do decide to open them, flip the cans over and use a modern side-cutting style can opener to remove the bottom. This way, after removing the ammo, you can basically put the can back together, and it'll look new and unopened (but a lot lighter).

If it were mine, would I open it? Maybe. Corrosive is a PITA, but I don't buy ammo to look at. It's aging, and I've had some 1940's ammo go bad on me, so in my own mind, 1940's is approaching expiration date. 1948 isn't war years, so I doubt it's worth a collectors premium. I'd probably try to trade them off still in the cans to someone who values that, at a 2:1 ratio for HXP or PPU noncorrosive ammo, to shoot.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyEngineer View Post
If you do decide to open them, flip the cans over and use a modern side-cutting style can opener to remove the bottom. This way, after removing the ammo, you can basically put the can back together, and it'll look new and unopened (but a lot lighter).

If it were mine, would I open it? Maybe. Corrosive is a PITA, but I don't buy ammo to look at. It's aging, and I've had some 1940's ammo go bad on me, so in my own mind, 1940's is approaching expiration date. 1948 isn't war years, so I doubt it's worth a collectors premium. I'd probably try to trade them off still in the cans to someone who values that, at a 2:1 ratio for HXP or PPU noncorrosive ammo, to shoot.
We were actually able to narrow the date down to sometime in 1945 thanks to Silverplate. Am I going to open it? Probably not... it is in beautiful condition and still shows the original shipping label. Some day I may sell it as a collection piece... or keep it as such. As you said... its corrosive... i will just shoot new PPU for the same price...

Formerly of Paradise, California. No matter where I put up my hat, Paradise will always be home.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:18 AM

Here are copies of the source material pages that verified your manufacturing year by lot number. Thought you might want to have a copy.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:21 AM

The ACorR next to your lot number means that the ammo could be packed for either aircraft or rifle use.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:44 AM

huh.. that is interesting, aircraft or rifle... thanks for the scans! I am going through all of my militaria and I am either taking High Res photos of it or scanning it... I am basically making my own catalog of it all... simply because some of the items I have, I can't find any pics or info on. that bulletin is the perfect addition to the SPAM CAN info!

Old 08-03-2015, 03:08 PM

I don't know what you paid for what you have. If you purchased it for a really inexpensive price I'd put it up for sale on Gunbroker for some hugely profitable price then once sold use the money for newer non corrosive ammo.