Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2019, 09:31 AM

Default Properly outfitted belt and soldier WWII

I have been slowly putting together all the accessories that would have been available for my 1943 Winchester M1 Garand. I am trying to ensure that everything is from the same error, year if possible. The goal is to create a display for my rifle. I have reached out to the forum for a couple of rifle sections (from the rear of the forearm to the muzzle, including barrel section) to display the bayonet on and the grenade launcher. Of course these rifle sections are intended to be non operable parts.

So far this is what I have:

Rifle 1943
Bayonet and Scabbard 1942
9 pouch ammo belt 1943
Ammo Bandoleer
Metallic Oiler
Cleaning Kit
Grenade Launcher
Pineapple Grenade fin
Practice Anti Tank Grenade
Barracks Cleaning Rod

What else would have been apart of a fully equipped belt/rig? Any images that you might have would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for you help.
Since this is a 9 pouch, I assume that it would also had a 1911 mag pouch on it. A tool pouch, maybe a grenade sight and pouch.
Canteen
What type of holster might have been issued. A side holster or a chest mount?

What I would still like to find anything else that you can think of:

Helmet
Canteen and pouch
Multi Tool
Winter Trigger
Grenade Launcher and Pouch

Last edited by Papa Charlie; 12-26-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:16 PM

The nine pocket belt ( cartridge belt, mounted ) was by the start of WW2 pretty much only used by paratroopers and the very few positions which both a pistol and rifle were issues...very few.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:11 PM

The basics are:

Combat Suspenders
Cartridge belt
First Aid Pouch with dressing in metal canister
Bayonet and scabbard
Canteen cover/canteen/canteen cup
Intrenching tool with cover
Old 12-26-2019, 11:19 PM

Thanks loads, you might be surprised how many different configurations I have come across.
For the display, I am thinking about including the following:

*Rifle
Rifle Stub with *Bayonet
Rifle Stub with *Grenade Launcher and *Pinapple/Fins
M1 9 Pouch Ammo Belt
*Bayonet Scabbard
First Aid Pouch W/Metallic Canister
1911 Boyt Holster
1911 Mag Pouch
M31 Combat Suspenders
*Anti Tank Grenade (for Launcher)
1938 Leggings
M41 Helmet Non Rolled Lip W/Liner and Chin Straps
*Bandolier with clips
*Loose clips loaded with AP Round

(*) indicates Items I have already collected

Possibles
Entrenching Tool and Cover
Haversack

I would like to make the display so that it allows me to continue to expand the items. Still have yet to decide if it will be a wall hanger or maybe a coffee table concept.

Here is the start of the layout, just a group of photos put together. What do you think? Any suggestions?

Last edited by Papa Charlie; 12-26-2019 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:10 AM

For Christmas my grown son bought me a Manikin from Amazon for $99. I collect surplus stuff and he thought I could use it to display my loot. He was correct.

You have a lot of good ideas. I've attached a link for you to reference what the basic rifleman was equipped with. A basic infantry man probably did not carry a handgun because of the extra weight. What bayonet do you have? Unless you Rifle was made late in 43 the bayonet issued to the owner would probably be a cut down 1905. Remember the combat infantryman travelled as light as possible. That being said nothing is really wrong with your concept as there was a lot of flexibility in issue gear.

https://www.armyheritage.org/images/...rld_War_II.pdf

I'm confused with your helmet. It might be just a typo but the all M1 helmets have a band that goes around the edge of the helmet. They are either front seam or rear seam helmets. Front seams were made until late 1943 and the rear seams were introduced in 1944. A front seam fixed bale M1 would probably be more accurate to display with your rife.

All this being said have fun. I have six WW2 issue M1 helmets on my shelf a gaggle load of M1 bayonets, one 1905, made in 1906 and one made in 1943. Its a fun hobby.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:52 PM

Thanks for the information. I was under the impression that the early helmet models had no rolled seem at the base and were formed for a single forging.
A lot to learn as I go forward. Still collecting and enjoying it.
Have collected what seems like a lot of gear but obviously, I am only a fraction of the way there, if there is an end to this.
Still as you say, "a fun hobby".
Old 12-27-2019, 02:15 PM

All US steel helmets had edge covering.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:26 PM

A good reference source for you would be an ROTC manual for the late 1930's or early 1940's. Those books show photos and drawings of complete kit and gear and how it was properly worn and displayed.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:03 PM

PapaCharlie:

I admire your curiosity. The starting point for this exercise should always be the official military Field Manuals of the day. I had handy here FM 21-100 Soldier's Handbook published in 1941. The image below was taken from that source. It shows you the proper layout of the infantry soldier's field gear as of 1941. Of course, that would change somewhat as the war progressed but this is the basic layout.

I commend to you another valuable resource. Check out the US Militaria Forum. It is the best collector's source on the net for all things USGI. The Field Gear sub-forum is particularly useful. Here is the link: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...-gear-section/

The guys over there are a very knowledgeable and friendly bunch. They would be happy to assist in answering any questions you have.

Good luck.

Regards,
Charlie
Old 12-28-2019, 09:13 PM

Thank you. Great link. I am learning a lot from everyone. Appreciate all the information. This is a slow process unfortunately, but enjoyable.

Actually have two projects. First is the display of my M1. The second is a display of my father's flag. I am trying to put together the insignias and ribbons he would have worn on his USAF uniform from the Korean war. Trying to find some old pictures I have in storage so that I can identify them. Found a shop in town that can gather everything for me from photo. Should make for a nice display.

Thanks again.
Patrick