Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2021, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_OH View Post
Hoping you all might be able to provide me a bit of insight on building a competition rifle too - I decided to go look at WOA uppers, and was considering their 20" service rifle one here:
https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/a4-...e-ban-1-7.html
but....the weight is 7.38lbs, and I don't see how I can build a complete rifle under the 7.5lb maximum the CMP rulebook states for the requirements of a Category A Modern Service Rifle. What am I missing?
Are you looking for a service rifle to shoot across the course events (200-600 yards) or a modern military gun for CMP Games (200 yards)? they are different. You'll note there is no weight limit in service rifle and White Oak and Compass Lake service rifle uppers are built with that in mind. You want the CMP Highpower Rifle Competition Rule book, not the CMP Games rule book. A gun meeting the category A criteria is going to be a "fun" gun, not a current highpower competition gun.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USriflecal30 View Post
Are you looking for a service rifle to shoot across the course events (200-600 yards) or a modern military gun for CMP Games (200 yards)? they are different. You'll note there is no weight limit in service rifle and White Oak and Compass Lake service rifle uppers are built with that in mind. You want the CMP Highpower Rifle Competition Rule book, not the CMP Games rule book. A gun meeting the category A criteria is going to be a "fun" gun, not a current highpower competition gun.
Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying that for me! Yeah, I was looking to put one together for the service rifle events so now it looks like it's just a matter of getting on WOA waitlist.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_OH View Post
Hoping you all might be able to provide me a bit of insight on building a competition rifle too - I decided to go look at WOA uppers, and was considering their 20" service rifle one here:
https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/a4-...e-ban-1-7.html
but....the weight is 7.38lbs, and I don't see how I can build a complete rifle under the 7.5lb maximum the CMP rulebook states for the requirements of a Category A Modern Service Rifle. What am I missing?
You need to look at the correct rulebook - the high power rulebook, not the games book. There is no weight limit for a service rifle.

https://thecmp.org/wp-content/upload...df?vers=121720
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
Old 02-18-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwcritch View Post
Thanks guys for the input. Yes reloading will also happen as I go. I have been reloading/helping reload almost my entire life, so I absolutely understand the befits when you're trying to get that last little bit out of your rifle.

Grey, you mentioned White Oak, and I have been looking at their uppers, but I have also been looking at the RRA CMP uppers & rifles, is there one better than the other in your opinion? If so would you mind elaborating? Thank you.
You can't go wrong with either choice. However, RRA only (used to, I may be wrong) offer a 1:8 twist barrel. Nothing wrong with that but if think you want to shoot real heavy bullets you might want to look into a 1:7 twist. (You can request what twist you want from whiteoak) That's really the only major difference between them. Both are quality.

Depending on your skill level, I wouldn't get too wrapped up in that your first year. Put your resources into ammo and shoot whatever barrel you choose, ALOT.
I'm in my 3rd season of competition and this season will be my first in actively chasing points. I burnt one barrel out going from sharpshooter to master