Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2020, 01:01 AM

Default Sitting position frustration

I just started doing some dry fire practice this evening and I am having a frustratingly hard time building a good seated position. I struggled and winged it last year (first year shooting in local matches).

1. I am using an M1A with 20 round length 10 round capacity magazines

2. Left handed (I understand everything is reversed)

3. I am 5' 6" with a gut

4. I've read Greg's wonderful post/article stickied in this forum.

Now my problem is getting my left elbow down far enough to rest, unless I force my body, either cross ankle or cross legged, which I could be messing up.

When I can get down, I have one heck of a cant with my muzzle pointing at a downward angle. I have been trying to get my right hand as far back as possible, but as I do so, I end up against the inboard side of the magazine thus causing my support arm to not be directly under the rifle.

Any suggestions or tips would be highly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2020, 09:00 AM

I also have a gut, and a very long torso. But Iím able to shoot sitting well. If youíre shooting cross legged, move your feet closer to each other which brings your knees up higher. Spend time stretching your back, watch tv in your sitting position. If you can get your knees up, you wonít have to short stock the rifle so much. As far as cant, when you place the buttstock in your shoulder, twist the rifle opposite the direction of your cant. With a little experimentation youíll find the right amount to get your sights vertical when elbows are on knees. Also, if you can find one, a project Appleseed clinic is great for helping develop your positions among many other things.

Hope I helped, Tom
Old 01-16-2020, 09:38 AM

There are almost infinite variations possible for sitting. Some really solid positions can be difficult and uncomfortable to maintain. If nothing seems to work, just sit with both feet out and rest your elbows inside your thighs. This was the 50s position and while not the most solid, it won''t cost you points if the other positions aren't working. Regardless of what position you choose, practice matters. Good Shooting. ...
Old 01-16-2020, 02:17 PM

Not that I would recommend it, but you don't have to shoot sitting, kneeling is an option. I've only seen one guy do it that way.

As ceresco pointed out, the open legged sitting position is an option. While not using an M14, Mitch Maxberry won the Nationals with a bolt gun using the open legged position and an M1 canvas sling.

Mitch put his elbows in front of his knees.

Last edited by Louisxllx; 01-16-2020 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Knees
Old 01-17-2020, 12:34 PM

Thanks guys! Hoping to start the new season strong!
Old 01-17-2020, 01:22 PM
GSM Master Instructor

Work on your flexibility - stretching to (try) to touch your toes while REALLY relaxing the muscles prior to attempting sitting position will be a big help. I am about as flexible as a fire hydrant, and it even helps me.
Mike B