Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwenum View Post
+1 for ‘rickgman’; what the heck do you need +P for anyway. You already have .45” of heavy lead coming out.
+P is useful in 1911s with shorter barrels. That way the velocity that you lose from the shorter barrel is made up by the higher pressure to start. An inch of barrel length can make a big difference in a pistol.

And as to someone asking if the metal in a 100 year old pistol can get weaker. The answer is yes. Springs are a good example of the metal fatiguing. And it doesn't take a hundred years with them. It only requires the loads and cycles placed on them. Same with all metals.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:51 AM

.45 Automatic is a versatile and accurate caliber.

I save the full power hardball stuff for modern production guns, and find myself shooting essentially none of it as I get older and wiser.

Backing off on the load even just a little bit in a 45 works wonders for shooting comfort.

This is an easy caliber to load for. Small parts are available for your CMP1911 should you be lucky enough to score one.

The guns are not delicate. It's a very robust piece of machinery.

That said, setting your spring/ammo combo up to minimize frame battering is simply common sense.

I hope I live long enough to wear out my 45's.