Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2016, 12:20 PM

Default New member here. Sharing a pic of my War Baby.

Hello everyone. Have owned firearms since I was big enough to hold one. I am new to vintage military firearms having just been offered a '43 M1A1 Carbine by a family friend. I have learned a lot about these in the last month. Looking forward to the experience of those who have been collecting a while.

Not sure if the forum is just for CMP purchased items or not but would be happy to post my pics of it disassembled showing markings if anyone is interested. Is there a thread for that?

Stay alert and safe. <0

Old 08-09-2016, 03:10 PM

I am certainly not any kind of an expert in this field but I believe you have a treasure there.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum and the community, crazy as it can be!

Looks like a nice M1A1, and YES...you can post/ask away about your carbine here (or Garand, or 1903, or Krag, or...well, you get the idea!).
And a good place to do so as there are some extremely knowledgeable and helpful folks here, which is good as the carbine is a weapon very ripe for repro parts/forgery, unfortunately. Given the higher inherent value of M1A1s, fakes/forgeries can be even more acute.

But, just start a thread in the carbine section, here...
http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Appears you have mastered photo-hosting...
As you mention, break it down and take good detailed photos of everything, including any marks on the stock...look at the bottom of the grip for a small ordnance stamp.
Make sure to note the manufacturer and serial #.

And you can send in a request to CMP to see if they previously possessed and/or sold that carbine.
From their main page FAQ...

Q?
WILL THE CMP RESEARCH A SERIAL NUMBER TO SEE IF IT HAD EVER BEEN SOLD BY THE DCM OR CMP?

A.
We will perform the research. Research often involves going through boxes of old records. Our files are only complete from 1996 to the present. We do have some earlier files, but know they are incomplete. We require a letter request with payment and we will respond by letter stating if we found anything, and if so when we sold it and what model it was we actually sold. We will not identify original purchaser. Allow 2-3 weeks per serial number.

We regret not being able to perform this service for free. We receive dozens of requests each week and it can take up to one hour just to find that we do not have any record of a serial number being researched. Charge is $25.00 per serial number, prepaid, whether we find anything or not.

If interested, send letter to CMP, ATTN: Serial Number Research, 1401 Commerce Blvd., Anniston, AL 36207.

Be aware their records prior to 1996 are still being cataloged, so any info prior to then may be lacking.
And note that you can call their CS for the info...usually they can do it over the phone...
(256) 835-8455

Again, welcome and look forward to seeing how this progresses for you.

Good luck and regards,
Rob

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544
Old 08-09-2016, 04:44 PM

Thanks Rob! Great info. According to the family it was owned by them since the 40's. It will be interesting to see if the CMP has any data that far back. In the meantime I'll share my pics in the carbine section. <0
Old 08-09-2016, 04:59 PM

Welcome...that rifle looks familiar.

My feedback: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=131218
Old 08-09-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandluke View Post
Welcome...that rifle looks familiar.
Hey coolhandluke! Are you stalking me?

Multiple forums are cool eh? I've joined several to get opinions/observations. Where else do you hang out?

ps. I sent a pm to Rick about the stock. We will see what he says.

Last edited by HDSledge; 08-09-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDSledge View Post
Hey coolhandluke! Are you stalking me?

Multiple forums are cool eh? I've joined several to get opinions/observations. Where else do you hang out?

ps. I sent a pm to Rick about the stock. We will see what he says.
Haha

I've got a few different sites that I hit up daily...CMP Forums, Surplus Rifle Forum, Gunboards, U.S. Militaria Forum, and OKShooters. This is the by far the best resource that you'll find for U.S. service rifles. Culvers / Jouster is good too, just a little slower.

My feedback: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=131218
Old 08-17-2016, 12:30 AM

Default Have to ask

Not a common last name so, any relation (even distant) to Eugene Sledge of "With the Old Breed" fame?
Old 08-17-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAtFraud View Post
Not a common last name so, any relation (even distant) to Eugene Sledge of "With the Old Breed" fame?
No relation. Sledge is the name of my 24 year old Plecostomus.