Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuceguy View Post
Interesting thread... Just so I'm clear, shooting is now considered a sport?!?!?! I thought of shooting as a disciplined hobby because there is no requirement to have athletic ability.
It's been considered a "sport" since forever and this last is not actually true for anything other than benchrest/F-Class.

That and: http://www.ncaa.com/sports/rifle
Old 03-27-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missilegeek View Post
It's been considered a "sport" since forever
I agree. I think of a sport as a competitive endeavor that involves physical action - not necessarily strenuous physical action.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:23 PM

I should also be fun. Which is why i don't shoot ATA trap anymore.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMC_EXP View Post
re: the concern that course of fire changes are required to keep CMP service rifle alive

I started off shooting DCM matches in about 1980. My home club was 200 yards with pits and a nice facility. There were 10 firing points for a range capacity of 40. They averaged 35 competitors per event up through the late 90's. This range was a training ground for our state junior teams.

There were a lot of juniors in the program back then. So many that one year the state sent 12 junior teams to Camp Perry. The State Assoc. was scraping so far down in the barrel for Jr team coaches I was drafted to do so.

By year 2000 this club was averaging 8 gray haired competitors per match and juniors were nearly extinct.

From what I see, NRA Highpower participation is way down as well.

For a variety of reasons, highpower competition is in decline. Start with anti-gun indoctrination in schools and take it all the way to an instant gratification plus 10 second attention span mindset.

They simply have no interest in an activity that demands intense concentration, attention to detail, and long periods of working rather than pulling a trigger.

If the sport is dying, don't dilute it down to the lowest common denominator. Let it go with some vestige of dignity still intact.

As to the history of the National Match Course, the DCM was created in 1903 to improve civilian marksmanship skills. DCM was replaced by the CMP in 1996.

Ray Maketa and Hap Rocketto are the historians. Unfortunately, Ray's excellent articles were posted on German Salazar's 'Rifleman's Journal" web site. Salazar has closed it down, locked it up and that is a damned shame.

If any CMP honchos are reading this, I have a request:

German Salazar is double, maybe triple Distinguished. His web site contains a wealth of historical info that ought to be preserved and put in the public domain, if Salazar is willing.

If CMP could talk him into donating those history articles for it's archives, that would be a fine thing.
Well,
I am 52 now and I had a pretty good long run at Highpower. I am feeling pretty fortunate that those F-Class types tolerated us shooting Highpower in their clubs, ranges, leagues and matches for so long. Unfortunately, the day may soon come that they no longer tolerare us shooting Highpower and consider us a liability to their discipline, then, out go the Highpower guys.

Danny

Harrington &Richardson 5,549,399.

The words "Liquor Store" and "robbed" are always used together in the same sentence.

What are the benefits gained from "JOINING" the CMP? A magazine subscription or discounts on rifles and other products sold by the CMP?

I'm strapping on all of the required gear and assuming the required positions because I just want to shoot.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranehunter View Post
Yes, you are the bench. You have to build your position in the alloted time as part of the stage. There is no safety issue. Yes I am looking at shooting 3 gun as well.

Bottom line, if you don't like it, don't shoot it. Don't buy a house next to a farm and then complain about the smell.
Well,
From my perspective after having lived in the country: MOST people want to move to the country because it is the country, and as soon as they get there, they set about changing the the things that made it "Country", effectively working to make it into the city.

Sound familiar?

Danny

The words "Liquor Store" and "robbed" are always used together in the same sentence.

What are the benefits gained from "JOINING" the CMP? A magazine subscription or discounts on rifles and other products sold by the CMP?

I'm strapping on all of the required gear and assuming the required positions because I just want to shoot.
Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM

If it was easy it would be called F class...
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootsy View Post
If it was easy it would be called F class...
NRA Highpower is headed that way with unlimited optics on match rifles. Bipods will be next.

It's somewhat amusing that a laudable offshoot designed to keep the elderly shooting once they couldn't handle regular positions will end up replacing the parent sport. By "somewhat", I mean "not at all".

Last edited by missilegeek; Yesterday at 11:06 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM

I hate to burst your bubble guys, but I have this all figured out . Last year I happened to be the National Civilian Long Range Vintage Service Rifle Champion. I'm the only one in that category where traditional unscoped Service Rifles are grouped together, but that is ok. The NRA may have their own rules and criteria that I am forced to meet, but I have my own stricter rules and criteria that I follow.

Danny

Keith Moon: "I happen to be the world's foremost Keith Moon style drummer"

Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
I agree. I think of a sport as a competitive endeavor that involves physical action - not necessarily strenuous physical action.
Sweet! Here's to us finely tuned athletes.. gonna go do some stretches and hit the gym.