Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2019, 08:10 PM

Default Another Inland M1 Carbine

Taking a HUGE chance with this purchase... went with a first time seller, excellent communication, reasonable story for the rifle, NOT a gun guy. The story I got when I asked about where the rifle came from was "It did belong to my father. It was given to him by my uncle, whom I never met. He passed when I was young. He was stationed as an officer in Europe during the war. He was in the rear and all I know is that the rifle was never fired during the war."

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796258206 Auction just ended, he's dealing with my FFL now.

We'll see.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:16 PM

If the receiver is in spec $600 is a steal. Description says it needs a bit of TLC. Did you ask what kind of TLC?
Old 01-14-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
If the receiver is in spec $600 is a steal. Description says it needs a bit of TLC. Did you ask what kind of TLC?
I did - waiting on a response now. I bid minimum bid... then wondered why there were no additional bids. Figured it'd go for $800 or so, was kinda' worried that I missed something!
Old 01-14-2019, 08:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Curious, is the PayPal payment a "Friends and Family" transaction?
I see....AS IS - No refund or exchange
Old 01-14-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
Curious, is the PayPal payment a "Friends and Family" transaction?
I see....AS IS - No refund or exchange
Yes - F&F... I know. Risk.

TLC = "It still fires fine. I took it out about 2 years ago. The magazine was sticking a bit, but it's really old. It needs to be cleaned and oiled. The stock looks like it could be reconditioned, but no cracks or anything like that. I'm not sure what you can do to bring back the luster of the wood, but it's not too bad, it's ok. "

This does not sound like someone that's going to take me for a ride.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_robin View Post
Yes - F&F... I know. Risk.

TLC = "It still fires fine. I took it out about 2 years ago. The magazine was sticking a bit, but it's really old. It needs to be cleaned and oiled. The stock looks like it could be reconditioned, but no cracks or anything like that. I'm not sure what you can do to bring back the luster of the wood, but it's not too bad, it's ok. "

This does not sound like someone that's going to take me for a ride.
The worst would be if the receiver and/or gas system is cracked, or if the barrel is badly pitted, but for $600 I'd say it's worth a roll of the dice
Old 01-14-2019, 10:21 PM

I saw that one, but passed due to NR and PayPal. Thought it had good potential, but risks as stated. I'm very interested to see how it turns out for you. Risk is usually part of the game with GB.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
The worst would be if the receiver and/or gas system is cracked, or if the barrel is badly pitted, but for $600 I'd say it's worth a roll of the dice
Yep - been there done that with the gas system! If it's cracked, I'm welding it shut. Not worth the hassle I went through with my other Inland! (Ordered a new barrel, will have to headspace, potential chamber reaming, etc)

Speaking of risk with GB, I just got a couple 1903 sporters in tonight from auctions... both good deals, $365 for one, $399 for the other. I'll clean up both, keep one a sporter, build the other as a "A4 tribute" of sorts from spare parts. So far I haven't had an issue with the GB site and folks integrity.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSnlB28 View Post
I saw that one, but passed due to NR and PayPal. Thought it had good potential, but risks as stated. I'm very interested to see how it turns out for you. Risk is usually part of the game with GB.
This. Plus the seller only registered with GB on December 28. But we were all new at one point, yes? A plus is that you were able to personally speak with the seller.

Bill
Old 01-15-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWilliam View Post
This. Plus the seller only registered with GB on December 28. But we were all new at one point, yes? A plus is that you were able to personally speak with the seller.

Bill
Personal conversation was the only reason I didn't bail on the transaction... I googled for the images / username online to see if it was cross-posted, no hits. But I was sweating it!