Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2015, 09:50 PM

I know there are different gas plugs you can use. Would anything like that apply here allowing you to use the Kynoch ammo without harming the gun or the shooter?
Old 04-13-2015, 08:55 AM

Yes, you could do that. Just as you would for any other 30-06 that is not M2 spec like modern hunting ammo for example. The brittle brass would bother me though. I choose not to run an adjustable gas plug in my Garands because good ol HXP and LC shoots just fine and is plentiful and affordable. If it was harder to find I'd look for other options. So the Garands get M2 (and my reloads loaded to spec) and the bolt actions get pretty much any other 30-06 I have or come across.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL D-9 View Post
I know there are different gas plugs you can use. Would anything like that apply here allowing you to use the Kynoch ammo without harming the gun or the shooter?
Short answer: No. The failure is that the case explode at the base and into the action. Having more capacity in the gas cylinder out by the muzzle isn't really a factor the way I inderstand it
Old 04-14-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaTheKid View Post
Short answer: No. The failure is that the case explode at the base and into the action. Having more capacity in the gas cylinder out by the muzzle isn't really a factor the way I inderstand it
The plug will help temper damage due to high pressure, on the op rod. But if the brittle case let's loose, the plug won't do a thing - as Bubba says above.

Personally, I would not even consider buying this ammo, unless the price was insanely cheap. But it never is, this stuff will go on sale for a delivered price that's equal to, or within 80% of HXP delivered from the CMP. (which is more expensive than PPU now, if you shop).

Only way I'd buy this ammo is if it were on the order of 30 cents a shot. Otherwise, forget it. It's shitty ammo that's old, with non-re-loadable cases - and it might explode. Not saying it WILL explode, but there is definitely elevated risk.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyEngineer View Post
The plug will help temper damage due to high pressure, on the op rod. But if the brittle case let's loose, the plug won't do a thing - as Bubba says above.

Personally, I would not even consider buying this ammo, unless the price was insanely cheap. But it never is, this stuff will go on sale for a delivered price that's equal to, or within 80% of HXP delivered from the CMP. (which is more expensive than PPU now, if you shop).

Only way I'd buy this ammo is if it were on the order of 30 cents a shot. Otherwise, forget it. It's shitty ammo that's old, with non-re-loadable cases - and it might explode. Not saying it WILL explode, but there is definitely elevated risk.
Oh Well...Anybody wanna buy some Kynoch.....cheap!
Old 04-14-2015, 05:26 PM

Alot of CMP fans are shooting it out of 1903 or 1903a3. Cases fail from time to time but it's not catastophic in the bolt action; ore like educational. Or You can pull the heads, and dump the powder into a waiting HXP case being reloaded. I have 100 rounds of it myself going that route.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:48 PM

Default kynoch

Can anyone give me any info on kynoch 53? Corrosive or noncorrosive, boxer or Berdan primed, safe for garand?
Thanks
Old 09-03-2015, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Can anyone give me any info on kynoch 53?
Search function is your friend; discussed here multiple times (as well as on other forums)...here are several comprehensives ones to review:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=64772&highlight=knyoch
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=111490&highlight=knyoch
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=49909&highlight=knyoch
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=49913&highlight=knyoch
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ghlight=knyoch

Quote:
Corrosive or noncorrosive, boxer or Berdan primed, safe for garand?
- Corrosive
- Berdan
- Consensus is no as they tend to be loaded hot, with alleged production problems and many reports of ruptured cases, particularly with K54 (see above threads).
I wont shoot it in Garands, especially with plenty of non-corrosive and known Garand-safe ammo out there, but have shot <100 rounds in bolt action (1903A3)...compared to HXP and PPU, and as mentioned in some of those threads, felt recoil is more stout with higher target impacts.

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544
Old 09-03-2015, 07:53 AM

Default Search

Thanks for the links

On my device, the search will not work. When clicked, the box opens for a second or so then blanks back to the forums before anything can be entered.

The links provided are appreciated as it saved me hours upon hours of paging back through 3 years of threads.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:14 PM

I bought several thousand rounds of the belted K53 in 250rd cans back in 2010 when Orest was blowing it out as it was dirt cheap then. I still have some and blast away with it in my bolt guns.

My observations:

-Non-corrosive
-Berdan primed, some brass cases split (questionable brass and stiff powder charge)
-Powder is flake type (somewhere I have an average charge weight written down)
-Loaded very hot, not garand safe
-Decently accurate, but nowhere near match quality