Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Auction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
The description and pictures indicate this rifle was a Greek MAP return. I certainly don't deny the use and application of the non-hooded .595 aperture in interim NM M1 Garands.

Respectively submitted.

Roadtrax - what provides the evidence of the Greek MAP return? I did not see it called out, but I'm no expert on Greek MAP evidence either...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottNMR View Post
Roadtrax - what provides the evidence of the Greek MAP return? I did not see it called out, but I'm no expert on Greek MAP evidence either...

At the risk of upsetting the self appointed constabulary.

The stock has the rifle's last four of the serial number stamped into the right hand side near the rear sling swivel. The stock also has the common "Greek X" sub-inspection stamp.

Not to mention the ever present axle grease used by the Greeks.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
At the risk of upsetting the self appointed constabulary.

The stock has the rifle's last four of the serial number stamped into the right hand side near the rear sling swivel. The stock also has the common "Greek X" sub-inspection stamp.

Not to mention the ever present axle grease used by the Greeks.

Thanks! Much appreciated

Old 06-23-2017, 04:10 PM

some time ago I had a Type 1 NM rifle that was returned to service, sent to Greece under the MAP program, returned to Anniston, and sold to me under the CMP Rifle sales program.

It was not uncommon for the earlier NM rifles to get recycled to service units when the Type II NM rifles were introduced.

www.RCArms.com

My Facebook Business Page: RCArms

My Facebook Blog Page: Milsurpcollector

NRA Life Member
GCA Member
US Army Veteran
Old 06-23-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kollector03 View Post
some time ago I had a Type 1 NM rifle that was returned to service, sent to Greece under the MAP program, returned to Anniston, and sold to me under the CMP Rifle sales program.

It was not uncommon for the earlier NM rifles to get recycled to service units when the Type II NM rifles were introduced.
Yup, and that's why the documentation (pedigree) from the CMP is so important. It may have done other duty at some point or another, but at the end of the day, it is what it is, and the government said it's a bona fide NM gun.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzachary View Post
Yup, and that's why the documentation (pedigree) from the CMP is so important. It may have done other duty at some point or another, but at the end of the day, it is what it is, and the government said it's a bona fide NM gun.
Do you mean the Government sales documentation from the 1960's, or the CMP "government" sales COA? In this case those are two different things.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Do you mean the Government sales documentation from the 1960's, or the CMP "government" sales COA? In this case those are two different things.

Both provide providence as many other things may as well, but definitely different. In this case, a NM with the Greek X only could come from CMP, post demise of DCM. Providence does make a difference, though different strokes for different folks, so to speak....

Old 06-28-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I was just speaking generally, but in the case of my particular rifle, the CMP provided the copy of the original government sales documentation, so it would be both a CMP letter, as well as the government sales doc.