Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Is it Real or Repro?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2020, 02:16 PM

Default Bowie or Beak 10" shortened SA 16" bayonet ?

Hi All,

Picked up a "Beak" or "Bowie" tipped shortened 1909 SA 16 " from De Page.
I did not have that example in my small collection of US WW- 1 & 2 bayonets. This is a nice example for the money. Think it's a Greek return.

My example has the up-sweep cut on the lower blade & has a slight tapering double edge grind on both sides.The top false edge for about 4"& about 1/16 to !/8th of a inch wide viewed from the top.

I seem to remember that depending on who did the shorting.
Some false edges tops were ground in various manners. One of which was a true double edge for about 3" with one side having a deeper grind.
Any help or pictures of the various types are a + for me.

Thanks,
broom

PS Found some info at "Bayonet points" & old posts here

Last edited by broomhandle; 08-01-2020 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:59 PM

Hi Fellow members,

No help or pictures yet......

Be safe out there,
broom
Old 08-04-2020, 07:38 PM

At first all shortened bayonets had a spear point...the same look as a new bayonet. But, different original manufacturers used in some cases a rounded fuller, and others a squared fuller. When the spear point was applied to the square type the point was very thin and tended to break in use. So those were cut to the beak point so the metal was thicker at the point. Actually finding a spear point on a square fuller is a bit of a scarcity...I have one that Bayonetman identified and told me the story.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:58 PM

Hi T38Carbine,

Did you ever see a Beak or Bowie type were the first 1 1/2" on the top of the blade was ground to a sharper false edge (like a standard blade) rather then just a hint of a double edge?
When I was a kid, a pals Dad had one. He said he used in the island war against the Japanese. He had a few full length 16 " bayonets too.
He said the long 16 " bayonet was a nice thing to have in a bayonet fight with the enemy as the Japanese rifles were long & so were the bayonets used on them.

Thanks for the reply,
broom
Old 08-05-2020, 08:00 PM

Yes, I have seen some like that too. I think the individual grinder had a little bit of leeway on the final shape. And yes Japanese rifle/bayonets were long!!
Old 08-06-2020, 08:05 PM

Hi T38Carbine,

Thanks for your reply!

I recall that Bowie cut American bayonet like it was yesterday!

I was about 12 or 13. My pal got dad to open a old foot locker, that was full of stuff. Including two battle dress uniform's that were stained.
Well worn, full of holes & some burns here.... There was a lots of sand & some small rocks in there too.
He said he was in a BIG hurry to get off that island! He had Japanese swords, a few helmets one with a large hole in it, shoes with the big toe as a separate part of the sole ,bayonets, pistols & tea sets too!
He was nice guy as I recall... I'm sure he is now long gone, to his reward.

Thanks for your reply's,
broom