Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Talladega Marksmanship Park
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2015, 07:42 PM

Default Difference between 300 and 600 yard targets

At Talledega this past weekend I thought I heard someone say that there was an 11 degree up difference from 300 to 600 yards on the targets. Did anyone else hear this or know if that is true?
Old 09-29-2015, 08:11 PM

Don't know if it is 11, but I noticed I felt like I was shooting downhill at 200 & 300. I had to take a half minute of elevation out on both.

600 was straight away.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:15 PM

Same here, 1/2 MOA out for 200/300, usual zero for 600
Old 10-07-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggarandise View Post
Same here, 1/2 MOA out for 200/300, usual zero for 600
Well Thanks- makes me feel a bit better. I was really questioning if what I was doing was "right". This is the first Range I've ever had to make an elevation change from my 200 or 300 zeros. That includes my Home range, one in Charlotte, Butner & Perry (Viale & Rod.).

Didn't log it for the Garand Match but I do think I recall making an elevation adjustment as well.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:34 AM
CMP Chief Operating Officer

Less than 3 degrees of difference between the 300 yard target and the 600 yard target.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:08 AM

I think it is perception more than any physical difference. The concrete slab for the firing line has a slight forward slope that appears to be about 5 degrees or so changing to probably 15 or so degrees in front of the firing line. That slight forward slope made me 'feel' like I was shooting downhill. I do believe that the targets at 200 are considerably lower than what many are used to seeing on ranges with pits.

For a XTC match, if I remember correctly the targets for all 3 distances are up for the entire match. So you would have to make some allowance so that targets at each distance are clear of the one in front of it. The easiest way to balance it would be to put 300 at eye level with the firing line and 200 slightly below and 600 slightly above.

Some basic trig would indicate that an 11 degree difference would not be realistic. A difference that large would make the 600 yard target appear to be 174 feet above the 300 yard target.

Just going from memory it would make sense that there is about a 3 degree difference between 200 and 600 with 200 being about 1.5 below 300 and 600 being about 1.5 above. That would give them the appearance that 300 is about 20 feet above 200 and 600 is about 20 feet above 300.

Does my math sound correct? It's been a long time since I did basic trig in the 7th or 8th grade.

Jim
Old 11-10-2015, 08:23 AM

Default Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsudduth View Post
I think it is perception more than any physical difference. The concrete slab for the firing line has a slight forward slope that appears to be about 5 degrees or so changing to probably 15 or so degrees in front of the firing line. That slight forward slope made me 'feel' like I was shooting downhill. I do believe that the targets at 200 are considerably lower than what many are used to seeing on ranges with pits.

For a XTC match, if I remember correctly the targets for all 3 distances are up for the entire match. So you would have to make some allowance so that targets at each distance are clear of the one in front of it. The easiest way to balance it would be to put 300 at eye level with the firing line and 200 slightly below and 600 slightly above.

Some basic trig would indicate that an 11 degree difference would not be realistic. A difference that large would make the 600 yard target appear to be 174 feet above the 300 yard target.

Just going from memory it would make sense that there is about a 3 degree difference between 200 and 600 with 200 being about 1.5 below 300 and 600 being about 1.5 above. That would give them the appearance that 300 is about 20 feet above 200 and 600 is about 20 feet above 300.

Does my math sound correct? It's been a long time since I did basic trig in the 7th or 8th grade.

Jim
Long time for me too.....so let's just 'say' it sure looks right on paper so IT MUST BE TRUE.......(logical too). I had two days of use of the range last week (Wed and Thur) and totally enjoyed the experience. Even saw Leon (Range officer)!! Ya got to love the electronic targets - even with the problem of "missed shots" - to which I am sure they will address with a new "rule" (as stated in another thread). LOVELY Range (even though I have access to Quantico 200-1000 BUT do NOT need pit duty!)

Last edited by RVN 69-70; 11-10-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsudduth View Post
I agree totally that it is perception, and after shooting there a few times I was also of the belief that the firing line is sloped. Was told by Top that it was in fact perfectly level, and I was so incredulous that I put my own level on it. The firing line is in fact absolutely, perfectly level. It absolutely feels like you're sloping forward because the concrete in front of the firing line slopes downward at a good angle. You are in fact standing on perfectly level concrete, however, when you are firing.

It was also explained to us, if I understood correctly, that the 200 yard targets were exactly 2.5 degrees lower than the firing line, the 300 yard targets were exactly level with the firing line, and the 600 yard targets are exactly 2.5 degrees above the firing line.

Not stating any of this as gospel, as this is merely my recollection of what we were told by Top, but it seems to be pretty close if it's not exact.