Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2019, 03:32 PM

I resize and trim first and use a little lube then run the carbine cases through the Dillon 550
Old 12-05-2019, 03:47 PM

Press was greased recently.I took the Shell plate out and cleaned under last night.
When I trim,I use a Forster original with the new 3-cut trimmer. I'm in a tree stand now, but I think the trim to is 1.28".
I use Dillon case lube.
My issue is the cases do not stand up straight on Stn 1&2.

Last edited by JeffinPTC; 12-05-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:28 PM

In a tree stand,....I hate you!
Old 12-05-2019, 05:32 PM

And retired.
It's absolutely a wonderful evening here in Georgia. 56įat sunset and dead calm.
Just haven't seen anything but Squirrels. The moon feeding times are later, after Darth
Old 12-05-2019, 06:16 PM

Was in a tree stand last night with my 11 yr old daughter, passing on the knowledge.
Unfortunately the “knowledge” was how to listen to Armadillos making so much noise the deer could have come by playing a brass band and we’d have missed them.
Like little turbocharged turtles racing around under the dead leaves..... when is Armadillo season again?

My feedback thread
Old 12-05-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bml View Post
I load 30 carbine on my 550B with a lee die set. I don’t use it to size the cases though. My procedure is,

1. Resize and deprime cases on single stage.
2. Trim cases if necessary
3. Prime, charge, seat bullet and crimp on 550B

I load 223 and 30-30 the same way. I have not had any more issues loading 30 carbine than any other caliber. There is little tricks to how much I bell and use of a micrometer charge bar to help make loading on the 550 easier.

What dies are you using?
I no longer use anything Dillon because things I bought in the last few years that were not their most expensive items, I found to be problematic on:
-22 Hornet
-30 Carbine
-.35 Whelen
- .256 Win Mag
- .256 Ferret

Ruined the last of my last .256 ferret brass and led to that rifle being converted to a bolt action .30 carbine.

I switched to Lee and RCBS. I was using older Dillon and Herter's dies.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:53 PM

I’m sorry to hear that. I’ve been using Dillon machines since the 1990s and I have found their customer service to be the best in the business.

On three occasions I’ve called them needing spare parts after breaking something. The first two they refused to allow me to pay for the items despite my clearly explaining to them that the items broke because I screwed up.

I paid for the item the third time because I told them I lost it. I don’t mind free but I believe you should pay for stuff you break.

They were also willing to help me run down several reloading glitches caused by my learning curve.

I have Lee and RCBS equipment and have no issues with any of it but I mostly buy Dillion because of the way they stand behind their products.

My feedback thread
Old 12-06-2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitpusmc View Post
Iím sorry to hear that. Iíve been using Dillon machines since the 1990s and I have found their customer service to be the best in the business.

On three occasions Iíve called them needing spare parts after breaking something. The first two they refused to allow me to pay for the items despite my clearly explaining to them that the items broke because I screwed up.

I paid for the item the third time because I told them I lost it. I donít mind free but I believe you should pay for stuff you break.

They were also willing to help me run down several reloading glitches caused by my learning curve.

I have Lee and RCBS equipment and have no issues with any of it but I mostly buy Dillion because of the way they stand behind their products.
That is a dang good reason to stick with a company too. I wish you nothing but the best in your continual use. I just had some issues and decided to go another route.

Take my friend.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeroub View Post
I may be wrong, but isn't cartridge length on 30 Caliber extremely important (a safety issue)?
sorry, didn't mean to say cartridge, I meant just the brass but both lengths are important. As another stated, max brass length is 1.290, all the once fired LC I have measured to date are about 1.275 to 1.280 so that's why I haven't setup to resize them. Another firing or two and I will.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:21 AM

Yes itís a ďyour mileage may varyĒ deal for sure. I just found them to be really loyal to be so I returned the favor. So many companies have horrible customer service these days.

Iíve lost track of who the OP is but my question is if the shell plate is tightened down enough to the shellplate platform? If thatís to high the cases can wobble a bit side to side.

Whit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnchillbilly View Post
That is a dang good reason to stick with a company too. I wish you nothing but the best in your continual use. I just had some issues and decided to go another route.

Take my friend.

My feedback thread