Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2019, 07:46 AM

Here is a brother to your 740,6xx colt. As issued condition with original parkerized finish. Maybe assembled the same day (SN 740,448)?

https://imgur.com/g3313lX
https://imgur.com/0tQvGAz

Last edited by skohler; 12-05-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:06 PM

Default 1911

O boy im glad you showed up, can you give the history of you gun and what do you consider the value?
Old 12-05-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrell View Post
O boy im glad you showed up, can you give the history of you gun and what do you consider the value?
Might surprise you to know that a few of us actually have knowledge and experience with these 1941 Colts (I currently own one 4,000 earlier than yours). You don't seem to want to hear the truth - that it's worth $1,700 if refinished and twice that if all original & mint - so I'll leave you to your quest for real info.

Old 12-05-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
Might surprise you to know that a few of us actually have knowledge and experience with these 1941 Colts (I currently own one 4,000 earlier than yours). You don't seem to want to hear the truth - that it's worth $1,700 if refinished and twice that if all original & mint - so I'll leave you to your quest for real info.

Bear pack and others have given good advice and will be better than me in regards to real world values, it's the only one I have and just happens to be a nice one. You can PM me if you want to hear this gun's story. As far as what I would value mine- I can only say what I've been offered knowing I wasn't interested in selling. That probably isn't relevant unless your's is in similar condition.

You will probably be able to answer all your questions if you can get some decent pics posted. Tons of really knowledgeable folks here that enjoy helping others. The pics I posted were taken by my cell phone this morning, it really is quite easy to post them in Imgur.com . Look forward to seeing what you have.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:50 PM

OP:
I sent you a PM with my email address.
I'd like you to send me the pictures and I'll assemble a imgur layout of them and so we can start to answer your questions...………
Old 12-06-2019, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I made a post that I would take pic and mail them to someone who might know about this 45 the post is gone now anyone that might know about send me a pm with ur mailing address or does any one know anyone in the Kansas city area that I can go see
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
OP:
I sent you a PM with my email address.
I'd like you to send me the pictures and I'll assemble a imgur layout of them and so we can start to answer your questions...………

Done...Farrell emailed me pics of the pistol in question earlier today, and just able to get them posted.
See below...

A few more to follow...

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544

Last edited by Big_Red; 12-06-2019 at 02:28 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator

Remaining pics...
I've emailed him and asked him if they have any of the box he mentioned, and any associated paperwork.

Farrell,
As Steve (thebearpack) mentions, I also have an early 1941 Colt 1911A1, and here is what I see on initial blush...
- The serial number matches up with some of the very first parkerized Colt 1911A1s.
- Correct inspection stamp on the frame (by the trigger guard, and near the magazine cutout on top) for Col Robert Sears, along with the "G" for government seen at the magazine cutout. Other stamps at front of trigger guard are correct. Correct proof "P" and location on top of the slide.
- Correct barrel, with the corresponding "G" marked on the underside.
- Hammer, mainspring housing, sights, slide stop and trigger appear to be correct. Can't see enough to say anything about the safety.
- Magazine release button is NOT correct...that is a button from a post-war (50's) government/commercial model. Correct one would be checkered.
- As far as finish...just not sure. Profile pics make it look like other examples from this time-frame, but just seems too uniform, plus the trigger seems very light compared to the rest of the pistol, and I just haven't seen that on many other original 1941 pistols, particularly those on Scott Gahimer's site (M1911info.com). And the complete lack of an idiot mark on a pistol that has clearly been fired gives me pause. Not to say it's impossible to find one without one, but one this early and with no evidence of one at all is unlikely.
No rebuild marks obviously, but could've been refinished at some other point, origin unknown. If so, they did a great job.
I'll let others like Steve and Milsurp Collector chime in on the finish.

I sent you a follow up email to see if you have pictures of the box and any paperwork.
I think the estimates given by thebearpack are solid.

Regards,
Rob

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544

Last edited by Big_Red; 12-06-2019 at 03:26 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:39 AM

Thanks Rob.

Besides the mag release that you mentioned, the barrel is also parkerized and it would have been blue originally.

I can't see everything I'd like to when deciding if it has original finish but my gut feeling is, this has been redone. It's a nice job but there is telltale rounding of the edges by the finger relief cut on the right side. The hammer was also a little over parked. Doesn't look like an arsenal refinish as someone took time with it. It was well done.

I'm sticking with the $1700-ish estimate, maybe up to $2,000 if someone really wants it as an affordable '41 example.

Last edited by thebearpack; 12-06-2019 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:36 AM

Those are some nice, clear pics. Nice of you to post them for farrell, Rob. Thanks for the analysis, Rob and thebearpack. I learned a lot reading your comments.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:22 AM

Default 1911

about the box when the guy came to the house he had only the pistol I ask him where the box was and he told me that the box was a mess and threw it away I WANTED TO STRANGEL HIM and yes I did buy the gun.