Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2019, 09:21 PM

Default Stock Wood?

Got a look at two other SAI M1a NM's this week that had very nice dark walnut
stocks. Mine appears to be much lighter more like oak with coarse grain pattern that looks like oak. This is a factory NM that"s bedded and stock is numbered to receiver. SN 150xxx range MFG 2002. Did SAI offer different wood at that time?
Old 10-12-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k98dave View Post
Got a look at two other SAI M1a NM's this week that had very nice dark walnut
stocks. Mine appears to be much lighter more like oak with coarse grain pattern that looks like oak. This is a factory NM that"s bedded and stock is numbered to receiver. SN 150xxx range MFG 2002. Did SAI offer different wood at that time?
I'd check to make sure yours wasn't bedded by someone other than SAI?
Old 10-12-2019, 02:19 PM

I thought that as well but the other guns I looked at had the same numbering inside the channel and bedding compound was the same color. Odds are an individual shop would not have to number the stock to receiver for a single build so I'm thinking this was factory. Maybe I should inquire directly to SAI if they take such requests.

Last edited by k98dave; 10-12-2019 at 02:21 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 10-12-2019, 05:46 PM

SAI's pretty good about responding to serial number lookups... give them a call or run your serial number through their internet lookup.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:17 AM

Since about 2005, SAI has been using Boyds stocks exclusively. They use the same walnut stock for the Standard, Scout, National Match and now the Tanker. Prior to Boyds, SAI used walnut stock from several sources, including Shaw, Fajen, Bishop and some lesser known companies.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:11 AM

So the question is did SAI bed any from the factory? I've heard both yes / no... and personally have no idea. I'd think the labor of bedding adds a big expense to the rifles which I don't see them committing without a serious markup on an already expensive rifle.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_robin View Post
So the question is did SAI bed any from the factory? I've heard both yes / no... and personally have no idea. I'd think the labor of bedding adds a big expense to the rifles which I don't see them committing without a serious markup on an already expensive rifle.
SAI has been factory bedding their National Match rifles for about 4 decades. Their Custom Shop offers it as an upgrade to any wood stocked M1A for about $175.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtC View Post
SAI has been factory bedding their National Match rifles for about 4 decades. Their Custom Shop offers it as an upgrade to any wood stocked M1A for about $175.
Ahh... thanks for the clarification! ;-)
Old 10-14-2019, 11:26 AM

I contacted SAI about my stock and provided the s/n. They confirmed it was a factory bedded NM and noted as "hardwood"stock was ordered. So it appears that the original owner had this done.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k98dave View Post
I contacted SAI about my stock and provided the s/n. They confirmed it was a factory bedded NM and noted as "hardwood"stock was ordered. So it appears that the original owner had this done.
In 2002, your factory stock was pre-Boyds. What does the cutout for the bolt stop look like? If it is round instead of square, your stock was probably made by Shaw.