Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwaveguy View Post
With the rain that was forecast for last night it looks like the last of the fires have been knocked down. I can't recall another urban fire like this in a longtime anywhere in the US.

The missing person list is still fairly long. My family made it unscathed but many people that we know haven't been so fortunate.

If there is any bright side to any of this there are going to be a lot of construction jobs starting in the spring.
There's a bright side to EVERY bump in the road.

What makes life better is staying focused on that bright 'side'. A little easier said than done, but TRUTH none-the-less..............

Did any Americans STOP waving their US Flags on /09/11/01, because their arms were tired from waving it on 09/10/01?
Old 10-21-2017, 06:03 PM

What makes life better is staying focused on that bright 'side'. A little easier said than done, but TRUTH none-the-less..............
Well said. Enjoy the time you have brother because its short. I use to sweat everything.... a Life changing event changed my thought process...every day we are Blessed even when it seems were beaten down.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:57 AM

There have been several complaints posted on the forum about the way "The Fires" in Sonoma and Napa Counties were handled by police and fire personnel. I understand that everyone who lives in the areas that these fires occurred have their own experiences and perspectives. My neighborhood in Santa Rosa was completely destroyed. It was almost one square mile of residential homes. Three residents in my immediate neighborhood died in this fire. The homes on my short section of street miraculously survived.

i want to say that I cannot commend the performance of the first responders highly enough. I have spoken with a number of the Santa Rosa Police Officers and Firemen and heard what they did to save lives at the risk of their own lives and have a fair understanding of what they experienced. That fire was unstoppable with the number of personnel that was availble when it reached Santa Rosa.

I understand that those who lost everything they had probably have a much different perspective than mine. I have friends and neighbor that escaped with the clothes they were wearing and the vehicles that they were driving and nothing more.

I still hope that before finger pointing and complaining that everyone would first consider all the positive things that our First Responders accomplished during the terror and chaos of that night.
Silent Rock
Old 10-23-2017, 06:32 PM

+1 x 10
Old 10-24-2017, 12:15 PM

Someone here probably remembers one of these gov't 'prescribed burns' within the last 10 years or so, that got out of hand, and endangered one of the science facilities to the extreme. Don't remember if it was JPL, or Los Alamos; it was somewhere out West.

I was quite surprised by the admission (although there might have been no denial); whether 'prescribed' by gov't local, or state, or Fed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Don View Post
Florida also does prescribed burns. We never call them controlled burns because 9 times out of 10, they get out of control.

-------------------------------
-------------------------------

I gotta' see it in like manner as CounterMeasure does here...

I venture that in fire response calls NOWADAYS more-so than ever, there are phone discussions to the Nth degree, along with signatures on paper (you know how long THAT takes), about whose re-election campaigns need help, before personnel or equipment gets dispatched, and from WHICH jurisdiction.

And I'm sure many at the lower levels took it upon themselves to 'act now, pay later', and did well (although they may pay dearly later).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterMeasure View Post

It always felt like there was more to the system than just having personnel and equipment, but some type of preference or pecking order. Which is wrong. People whose houses are in danger of total loss don't care whom dumps water or retardant on the fire near it, as long as it happens to save possibly all they own.

If such wildfires were in suburbs of DC, in which many Fed Legislators lived, would such a conflagration burned so much???

Did any Americans STOP waving their US Flags on /09/11/01, because their arms were tired from waving it on 09/10/01?

Last edited by ACampComLegacy; 10-24-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Rock View Post
There have been several complaints posted on the forum about the way "The Fires" in Sonoma and Napa Counties were handled by police and fire personnel. I understand that everyone who lives in the areas that these fires occurred have their own experiences and perspectives. My neighborhood in Santa Rosa was completely destroyed. It was almost one square mile of residential homes. Three residents in my immediate neighborhood died in this fire. The homes on my short section of street miraculously survived.

i want to say that I cannot commend the performance of the first responders highly enough. I have spoken with a number of the Santa Rosa Police Officers and Firemen and heard what they did to save lives at the risk of their own lives and have a fair understanding of what they experienced. That fire was unstoppable with the number of personnel that was availble when it reached Santa Rosa.

I understand that those who lost everything they had probably have a much different perspective than mine. I have friends and neighbor that escaped with the clothes they were wearing and the vehicles that they were driving and nothing more.

I still hope that before finger pointing and complaining that everyone would first consider all the positive things that our First Responders accomplished during the terror and chaos of that night.
Silent Rock
I don't think that people were faulting the local FD people. I think it more was directed at Cal Fire.

And ACampComLegacy, that was the one near Los Alamos. It was called the Cerro Grande Fire and it was caused by a NPS " controlled " burn. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerro_Grande_Fire

Last edited by Ohio Don; 10-24-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:29 PM

After some of our disastrous fires there has been discussion on preventative measures. Not as easy as it would seem. People like to build in the woods and they are loath to cut down any of the pretty trees. It take money to "landscape" an entire forest for safety. Builders want to build and folks like to buy and no one wants to have to pay for special building restrictions. There might not be more than ten trees in a neighborhood, but if you have houses 20' apart and fifty mile and hour winds like I've experienced in CA. then the whole neighborhood might go.

Last edited by jerryjeff; 10-24-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:13 PM

Silent Rock...Glad to hear your home was spared from the fire. Every day I learn that someone I know or worked with having lost their home and hear more first hand recounts of what it was like to be in the path of this firestorm. I certainly don't have any "insider" knowledge of how everything went down from 10PM Sunday night and 10AM Monday morning or what could have been done differently or better. But I can say with certainty that you can't directly fight a firestorm such as we experienced that night. No amount of of fire engines/personnel would have prevented this fire from spreading how far and fast as it did. After the winds died down that morning more resources could have probably reduced the number of structures destroyed, but there were TEN fires going in Napa/Sonoma/Mendocino counties at the same time, that have now burned over 300 square miles. In this Sundays local paper there was a poignant story about a few of the volunteer fire companies who took some of the brunt of the fire storm http:/www.pressdemocrat.com/news/7538948-181/sonoma-countys-volunteer-firefighters-raced?artslide=0