Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2019, 12:12 AM

Default 03A4 project

I am starting another CMP vintage sniper rifle project for my second son and wanted some advice. I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible

Years ago I glommed a 03A4 that had been sporterized. This was fortuitous for my current project because although the rifle was very finely polished and blued, the metal appears to be uncut...so no need for a new barrel, bolt, or scope mount.

Somewhere along the line I also got this scant stock...looking it over, it appears to have never been used. I can find no cartouches or stamps of any kind on it. It does have a small bolt cutout, however. Is it possible that this is a NOS actual 03A4 scant stock?

I've got a Weaver K2.5 with a post and crosshair, so I'm covered on optics.

The barrel is full length, but has been polished so finely that there is no longer any stampings visible...

If I just assemble this rifle "as is" does anyone see any problems? Is the current finish and lack of barrel markings likely to be a problem?

Thanks.

Last edited by Calfed; 09-04-2019 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:14 AM

Calfred, the cut for the bolt on this one strikes me as off.

It looks pretty new, but I guess the stock looks pretty new as well. But when you set it along another one, it makes me think someone was more trying to duplicate an original, than being an original.

I just threw this together compared to mine, but see why it sort of strikes me as off?

Hell of a cool project by the way! I'm glad to see you restoring her to her former glory!

Old 09-04-2019, 06:19 AM

Just another look from the top.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:13 AM

No reason your sporter could not be rather easily turned back. You will need a safety and some vintage Redfield scope rings (and a Lyman Alaskan) would help. The polished metal will stick out llike a sore thumb. I have wondered if there is a process that could restore a more "normal" parkerized surface to the sportered rifles. The scant stock should be fine. Many of the small parts are inexpensive, such as the bolt body, firing pin, cutoff, etc. if you wanted to go for a more "as issued" appearance. Nice project. Good Shooting. ..

Last edited by ceresco; 09-04-2019 at 07:22 AM. Reason: It's already an A4....
Old 09-04-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
No reason your sporter could not be rather easily turned into an A4 repro.
Not to nit-pick, but I don't think I would call it a repro. More of a resto.

I'd consider having it reparked. It won't look right, but it will look a lot better than it does now.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:30 AM

I already fixed that. Reflecting on this; should I be fortunate enough to obtain a genuine A4 receiver, I would opt for a full restoration, replacing all the polished parts (including barrel) with NOS parts. Cost would be minimal considering the value of a restored A4. Good Shooting. .
Old 09-04-2019, 08:11 AM

I might have it sandblasted and parked. Other than the markings the sandblasting will rough up the polished metal and the park will make it look military again.

You could replace the barrel to restore the markings if you wanted. As suggested. I do think if you sold it, you would get back any of this money you put into it.

Nice thing about these builds, you can take your time and build them like how you want them. Then what is really great you can take them out and shoot them as much as you want.

I've seen your attention to detail in other builds. I have no doubt it will be a nice rifle when finished.

I actually sort of enjoy working on projects like this. But I also like to restore old cars. So it probably runs in my blood.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:38 AM

I don’t think you can ever “unpolish” a highly polished gun unless you pull out the files and engraver and go to work. And even then the OD will have been significantly reduced. It is what it is and that sounds fine for the project in mind. However I wouldn’t toss the Sporter stock as it’s part of the rifle’s history and for some unforeseen reason your son may want to put it back on in the future. After all it was the builders pride and joy when he got it finished and it is a nice Sporter. Keep up posted on your progress.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:28 AM

I would vote for a sandblast and repark of the receiver, bolt and barrel at the least. You have almost all the parts to put together a functional 03A4 for shooting matches right now. There is still value in the A4 receiver even though it has been polished. If you have access to the tools to do it yourself, it is not difficult and really not that expensive.

I bought a similar project from a forum member not long ago. I used a pretty fine blasting media to take down the polish. It has a softer appearance with the loss of some of the tool markings. A rougher media would take down the polish even more but you would also lose more of the stamping. I used Manganese parkerizing solution that had been seasoned well.

Before
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

After
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-04-2019, 11:34 AM

I remember when you bought that. Nice catch. I would not write off the stock. I have one like that that still had parts of the military label that identified it as such. It had been on a shelf for more years than the seller could remember. He did not know what it was. I would ask JB. Mine had never been used and the foreshock hole not drilled. Cool project.