Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2019, 09:20 PM

Here's my A4 Keystone scant stock. It is the real deal.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:31 PM

Here's a few more, what it was when I bought it including part tag to what it is now.

It had been in a basement on a shelf for 40+ years and the all the seller knew it was a war gun stock. I took a chance based on the ugly pictures he sent and you see here.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:43 PM

Thanks, AK...you did wonders with that stock.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:55 PM

A different view of my scant

AK'49shooter's
[/QUOTE]
Old 09-12-2019, 07:07 PM

It's been about 10 yrs since I have really dived into research on the 03A4. My memory of them back then is I dont remember seeing that style cut. But it might not matter as the only thing I was interested in was finding an original one. I wouldnt have paid much attention to stocks like these.

I hate trying to say traits like this are 100% real or fake because I have a machinist friend who can duplicate any of these cuts exactly. Luckily hes honest or someone like him could buy cheap 03a3 scant stocks, make a cut, and now triple or quadruple his money on ebay or gunbroker.

I guess I would ask first are there any markings in the mag cutoff? Any cartouches at all on either?

I would seek out the opinion of Jim Gaynor. Jim knows more on the A4 than probably anyone alive.

Hes been sort of MIA but I saw he jumped on a post yesterday, so I would PM him and see if he could comment on this.

His opinion I would trust the most before mine on this.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:10 PM

Made a quick trip to the range this afternoon to shoot the the 03A4 in its present condition. I had some Hunting Shack 175 gr ammo, which the 03A4 didn't seem to be thrilled with. Shot both groups at 100 yards.

Also some Federal Powrshok 150 gr, which the rifle seemed to like more. I made two scope adjustments (first hit was far right), adjusted the scope (fired two more, which impacted left of the first shot), made another adjustment and fired a five shot group.

Last edited by Calfed; 09-12-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:37 PM

I also took an SC 03A3 that I had won at auction sometime back. It had come sporterized, with a Redfield target sight. I had originally got it to convert to A4 configuration, but have not change it yet.

I shot 6 rounds of the 150 gr Powershock@ 100 yards. I pulled the #3 shot, but the rifle groups really well with the Redfield sight.

This rifle has the 6 groove barrel

Last edited by Calfed; 09-12-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
Thanks, AK...you did wonders with that stock.
Thanks you, it took some time to rehydrate it. Good piece of the dense part of the tree so it survived.
You have an original, the cuts are the kind you find on the Keystone scant replacements. The Springfield C stocks were visually different and even they vary somewhat, I suspect more hands on with those. The ring cuts are different as well because Springfield was cutting existing non ring stocks.
Mine has a K in the cut off, doesn’t show well in the pictures but does in real.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
It's been about 10 yrs since I have really dived into research on the 03A4. My memory of them back then is I dont remember seeing that style cut. But it might not matter as the only thing I was interested in was finding an original one. I wouldnt have paid much attention to stocks like these.

I hate trying to say traits like this are 100% real or fake because I have a machinist friend who can duplicate any of these cuts exactly. Luckily hes honest or someone like him could buy cheap 03a3 scant stocks, make a cut, and now triple or quadruple his money on ebay or gunbroker.

I guess I would ask first are there any markings in the mag cutoff? Any cartouches at all on either?

I would seek out the opinion of Jim Gaynor. Jim knows more on the A4 than probably anyone alive.

Hes been sort of MIA but I saw he jumped on a post yesterday, so I would PM him and see if he could comment on this.

His opinion I would trust the most before mine on this.
Cpl, when I suggested he not write that stock off as fake, it was with certainty. As you can see both of these stocks are cut by machine and the same one.
In addition I did run mine past Jim and he blessed it. Finally I had that dried out, just about dust, tag that confirmed it. It was the same you found on a lot of the parts that were found in packages. I think I still have the regiments of it in a baggie some place.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
I also took an SC 03A3 that I had won at auction sometime back. It had come sporterized, with a Redfield target sight. I had originally got it to convert to A4 configuration, but have not change it yet.

I shot 6 rounds of the 150 gr Powershock@ 100 yards. I pulled the #3 shot, but the rifle groups really well with the Redfield sight.

This rifle has the 6 groove barrel

I love those Sporters, I have a couple. 🥺