Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearheadOrd View Post
Addendum to my earlier post. Don't use "Naval Jelly" to remove anything unless you want the metal surface roughed up. Every time I have used it (non firearms applications) it had a caustic effect on both the finish and actual surface of the metal

Airborne,
Mark
Because its jelled phosphoric acid!
Old 09-17-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post

I would seek out the opinion of Jim Gaynor. Jim knows more on the A4 than probably anyone alive.

Hes been sort of MIA but I saw he jumped on a post yesterday, so I would PM him and see if he could comment on this.

His opinion I would trust the most before mine on this.

No luck getting in touch with Jim. His profile doesn't have him with any activity since 2017
Old 09-17-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearheadOrd View Post
Addendum to my earlier post. Don't use "Naval Jelly" to remove anything unless you want the metal surface roughed up. Every time I have used it (non firearms applications) it had a caustic effect on both the finish and actual surface of the metal

Airborne,
Mark
I have used Naval Jelly a few times to remove rust on firearms. It does indeed remove the bluing as well. You have to read the directions carefully and if it says leave it on for 10 minutes, then rinse it off - do it just that way, because leaving it on longer will cause it to blacken the metal.

It is best to do it in stages, a small area at a time and use several applications and rinses.

When the rust has been removed, you will have a sort of yellow or gray dull look to the metal. This can be shined up using Chrome cleaner like Simonize - the same stuff we used on bicycle wheels and car bumpers back in the day.
It leaves the metal very shiny and clean.

If you plan to then re-blue the piece, or finish it in some other way, you will have to use a good de-greaser to remove any polish residue. I find that Ronsonol or Zippo Lighter Fluid works great as a degreasing agent.

I would caution anyone thinking of going the Naval Jelly route that it is a LOT of work and should only be used when the firearm is in a badly rusted condition. There are better ways to remove light surface rust that are not as time consuming (and frustrating). Also, no antique firearm should EVER be treated with Naval Jelly as it will completely ruin its value as an historical antique.