Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2019, 04:08 PM

Default Crown on Sedgley '03 barrels

I'm a novice to '03s, and have a couple of questions about some Sedgley barrels I have (I am well aware of the Sedgley bent/straightened issue and none of these have been bent). The barrels are NOS.
First question: The crown on the Sedgley barrels is almost flat. Is this detrimental to their accuracy, and if so is there benefit to re-crowning them?
Second question: I have installed only one of these Sedgley barrels, and after trying several different bolts I still had to ream it just a bit to get it it to go to battery on the "GO" gauge. Should I expect this on the other Sedgley barrels, or is this just unique to this particular barrel?
Thanks.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:02 PM

Default The crown on the Sedgley barrels...

is not detrimental to accuracy, if in good condition, and there should be no need to re-crown them.
All 1903 government and contractor-made replacement/spare barrels are short-chambered, and must be reamed to correct headspace when installed if the receiver and bolt are both within gauge for serviceable parts.

mhb - MIke
Old 09-14-2019, 05:05 PM

A lot of WWII production 03 barrels are a little flat in the crown department.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:27 PM

mhb and Jack Hammer, thanks for the information. I know some about Garands, and now trying to learn a little about '03's. Maybe it's because they were manufactured over such a long period of time and there were so many contractors and re-builders, but 03's seem especially tough to know. So many were "sporterized", hacked up, and counterfeited that I have trouble knowing if I'm looking at a real USGI 1903. I have learned just enough now that I can recognize some 03's for sale on GB that are not what they are claimed to be. I am beginning to think I will always be in a state of confusion on some things about these rifles. But, as an old combat infantryman I can say for sure the 03's feel comforting in-hand.

Last edited by KenD; 09-14-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:12 PM

Sedley barrels are fine if they have not been damaged by bending. Have a 801,XXX Springfield 03 that was rearsenaled at RA-P where a new scant grip stock and a Sedley 44 barrel were installed. The stock is first rate. The barrel is excellent. First 95 round of ammo I ever fired in this rifle consisted of mixed factory hunting loads which I sorted according to headstamp and weight ... 150's in one pile ... 165's and 180's in other piles. The average of all five round groups was 1.73 inches firing five round strings off sandbags at 100 yds. The last five rounds were Winchester 150 gr. Silver-Tips. That group measured a hair under 1 inch perfectly centered in the center of a standard 100 yd. bullseye target. Day in and day out, that rifle shoots excellent groups. The bore is not perfect ... slightly hazy likely due to a previous owner using corrosive ammo w/o entirely correct clean-up. But, I am thrilled with it. Very much expect that your NOS Sedley barrel will give you excellent results and many years of enjoyment. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:57 PM

Sedgley bought the Avis barrel tooling in an auction(?). They made high grade barrels for years.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:38 AM

One thing I looked for in the Archives were mentions of them bending the Sedgley barrels.

I didn't find anything. In fact everything I saw it made it seem highly unlikely it would have happened. There wasn't a policy in place of destroying M1903 barrels before being released to the public, by any branch.

It looks like a good portion of the later Sedgley barrels were turned over to the Navy as loose barrels, as the Marines detailed they had a surplus of m1903 parts and didn't have much of a need after Feb 1943.

There was a policy of "mutilating" Machine gun barrels. But it sounds like what they did to them was more than a simple bending.

I've seen a lot of 43/44 Sedgley loose barrels and haven't seen any evidence of bending and straightening.

I know really wonder if the bending actually happened, or is maybe just a story that has circulated for a lot of years.

Anyone even know where this came from, or any seen any evidence that it actually happened?
Old 09-15-2019, 12:35 PM

Default I don't recall having seen...

a bent and straightened Sedgley barrel, but I have inspected a fair number of 03A3 barrels which very obviously HAD been bent sharply and later straightened. The work was not well done. Not knowing who bent the barrels I've seen, or why, I can only speculate that they might also have done the same to Sedgley 1903 barrels. Whoever straightened them later and sold them without mentioning the fact is a scammer, plain and simple.

mhb - MIke
Old 09-15-2019, 03:20 PM

I have owned one bent Sedgley and saw a pile of various bent barrels some years ago. They are around, for sure.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:39 PM

The 03A3 bent barrels, that one I don't think I've heard before.

Mhb or Calif-Steve, do you remember any of the details of the other barrels beside's Sedgely?

For instance barrel dates, or manufacturer?

It just makes me wonder what the story is. I heavily searched for this at the Archives, because those 43/44 Sedgley's have always intrigued me.