Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2019, 12:27 AM

Default So far as I can recall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
The 03A3 bent barrels, that one I don't think I've heard before.

Mhb or Calif-Steve, do you remember any of the details of the other barrels beside's Sedgely?

For instance barrel dates, or manufacturer?

It just makes me wonder what the story is. I heavily searched for this at the Archives, because those 43/44 Sedgley's have always intrigued me.
those barrels I inspected were all Remingtons of -'43-'44 production. They had also been sold as 4-groove barrels, which they were, though they hadn't started out that way. Internally they were a real spectacle, since the point of the original bend was clearly visible, the 2 added grooves were not properly spaced or of the same width, shape or depth as the original grooves, and it appeared that the straightening operation involved inserting some type of mandrel in the rear end of the bore, which sort of mashed the lands for several inches forward of the chamber. They were truly awful. And, FWIW, they were sold by SARCO, who did at least agree to take them back- though I'd bet they were simply sold again. Caveat Emptor - no foolin'!

mhb - MIke
Old 09-16-2019, 02:18 PM

My buddy, a dealer, had a small pile of bent barrels. Sedgley and others. All were 03 barrels, no 03A3 in the pile. They had been bent back into position. They were all sold at the gunshow. That is about all I recall.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:25 PM

Thank you Gentlemen! I was just trying to see if there was some type of pattern.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:02 PM

Bill Ricca mentioned, quite a few years ago, that there was some 03 barrels sold on gov't bid as scrap that had been in storage in the San Francisco area, and that they had been bent.