Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2019, 08:47 AM

Default Need Scope help for my 1903A4

I was lucky enough to get one of the 1903A4's that the South store recently had and my original plans were to put one of the CMP scopes and mount on it. I changed my mind and went with a used Weaver 2.5K. I got it sighted in at 25 yards but I have to use my binoculars to see my hits. The crosshairs are clear but the target is fuzzy. Do I have a scope problem or is this normal? I have never been a scope person (prefer iron sights) so I am looking for some help.

Also, since I don't plan on shooting this in competition is there a more modern scope that would be clearer and still fit the 1" rings? My max distance to shoot is only 100 yards.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 09-16-2019, 08:55 AM

Most modern scopes can be focused so that the target appears clear to your eye when you are sighting the rifle. I do not know about your particular scope - or your vision/eye glasses, but perhaps try a modern scope and see how it works for you.

I have mounted and used a few recent Bushnell Scopes which were fairly inexpensive and which had excellent optics and cross hair illumination, as well as the ability to adjust the magnification power.

I use a Bushnell optical bore sighting device to do an initial alignment of the scope before shooting the rifle and making further scope adjustments. Some folks use a laser bore sighting device to do the same initial adjustment.

For bench shooting and for competition, I use an adjustable power Nikon spotting scope. I have always worn glasses. The spotting scope can be focused for wearing glasses or not.

Last edited by navyrifleman; 09-16-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:57 AM

you can adjust focus with the rear of the scope.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckindenver View Post
you can adjust focus with the rear of the scope.
I tried this (sorry I left it out of my first post) and it didnít seem to help. Of course, it could be the scope.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:48 PM

I have had good luck unscrewing the eyepiece and removing it. Then I clean it with q-tips and a glass cleaner. I just clean the inside of the eyepiece lens. Also I clean the outside of the lens on both ends.

Anything past this, you have to tear the scope apart.

I've had some that were fuzzy and I couldn't focus. But then I cleaned the inside of the eyepiece lens and it made all the difference.

It would be worth a try, it's basically free and you can't really hurt anything.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:50 PM

It's a misleading term but you need to adjust your eye relief. This can't be done looking through the scope constantly. Select a target at a distance of 100 or 200 yards. Loosen the lock ring and screw the ocular bell back or forward while intermittently looking through the scope. Make sure and look away at an object of similar distance for at least a few second before glancing back through the scope. Don't stay in the scope too long, your eye will try to compensate and this why it is out of adjustment. When properly adjusted at a glance through the scope you should have instant clarity of the target and the crosshair.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:39 PM

older scopes can get lens separation pretty easy..iv had to trash a few over this