Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2019, 10:49 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to tsmysak1
Default IBM Stock ICut Correctnessess

I picked up a beautiful IBM, that you would take for an original. It has the early RMCB ICut stock. The concern is the serial number at 3.73, which I cannot find production date. Baby Ruth says they stopped production of the Icut in October, And so Serial number might be 30 or 60 days too late. First thing is why would somebody put an earlier stock on the later gun if it was a restoration? Second question is why would the book show such an early cut off on the number? Is that realistic? Would like to hear your thoughts. The gun is all IBM and it matches the configuration from the book. Not refinished in anyway it appears as you would expect. Front site has not been removed. I already know there might not be a right answer, so I am looking for your opinions.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:14 PM

"War Baby" does not list Rock-Ola as a stock subcontractor to IBM. But does show Rock-Ola sent 50,000 stocks to IBM Sept. 1943.
Rock-Ola made lots of stocks, and just sent what they had to IBM. I would not worry about it.
Think of it this way, IBM saw the need for 50,000 stocks, so they called around and found Rock-Ola had a few tens of thousands laying around they could send.
Rock-Ola had to pull the stocks out, hand stamp B on them, and box them up to send to IBM.
So some of the stocks came from the back of the warehouse. The stock also could have laid around IBM's plant a little while before it was used. Say a shipment from one of IBM's stock subcontractors came in before all the RMC/B stocks were used and put on top.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:55 PM

That stock is golden. As stated above don’t worry about it. Sounds like you have something very special. IBM’s are pretty rare. Originals in early configuration are a very hot item that I can no longer afford.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:39 PM

see CCNL 329-3

Last edited by Newscotlander; 11-12-2019 at 09:23 PM.