Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2019, 09:43 AM

Default Help dating an Inland

I was going off uscarbine.com or something yesterday and I bought this Inland Carbine. Do we know what September of 1943 serial number would have started at? The website I use gave a 0 to 1 million range and it's very hard to get an accurate idea of what month a receiver starts at. Mine has a September of 43 barrel with serial number 821325. I'm concerned my receiver might be a few months older than my Barrel and that isn't what I was after.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

My 906xxx Inland has a 10-43 Inland barrel. I think you are fine with a 821325 and a 9-43 Inland barrel.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:07 AM

Default Inland info

According to the chart in Carbine Club newsletter 268 your barrel is correct for your rifle serial number.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:43 AM

Hi Nate,

Your question seems to be answered favorably.

In the light of day, you must remember that the barrels & receivers were in large storage box's. from the source manufacturer.
X amount of barrels or receivers ready for assembly, were then moved closer to the final assembly area. There are pictures on line. You can find lots of stuff on You tube.
When the armorer's ready box's were restocked, any empty location was refilled with barrels or receivers.
So it's more likely that the one's at arm level were use first.

No one was worried about barrel & receiver dates matching.
There not food products that will spoil.
In the last two years I have bought two or three (70+ year old) NOS barrels & stocks. When assembled & finished it will be difficult if not impossible to know if they are really original "originals".
Having a usable firearm for their brother,son or husband to use & come home to his family, was the overriding concern.

Good Luck with it,
broomhandle

Last edited by broomhandle; 11-11-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:23 PM

Some people just like to know, there is a good chance, the barrel is original to the receiver and not rebuilt later with a different barrel.
Agreed, if it was rebuilt later with the near correct barrel date, there may not be any way to tell if the barrel was original the the receiver or not.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:30 PM

OP has a Saginaw sub-contract receiver for Inland. Best way to answer this is to read CCNL 346, pages 3-4.