Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2019, 08:24 PM

I've seen nice GI Carbines listed on other web sites sell for less than $800 in recent months, including one with a number of original and quality reproduction accessories. It happens a lot, people want Garands or more modern stuff - the Carbine is a bit of a stepchild!

Eli
Old 08-21-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliyahu View Post
I've seen nice GI Carbines listed on other web sites sell for less than $800 in recent months, including one with a number of original and quality reproduction accessories. It happens a lot, people want Garands or more modern stuff - the Carbine is a bit of a stepchild!

Eli
No, only to the uneducated who don't know what they're looking at. Which is good for a Carbine person. Garand only people don't make sense.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Ring View Post
I see on their website, that for $2K you can get a GI receiver guaranteed to shoot 3 MOA.
My question is, is 3 MOA hard to get out of a US GI M1 carbine?
They state: "our M1 Carbines dominate the CMP Games year after year." I have not been to any CMP games, for those who go, is that true?
I am not wanting to do a roast, I just don't know.
I never saw a M1 carbine that could do that. Maybe I dont buy enught (2) or know enough? I know a tight guns vs a loose one. I would not expect 3moa from a old GI carbine. Sure anything can happen. And how you measure MOA. Toss out the frequent fliers? Five or 10 shot groups not 3? Three is stupid.

On the other hand, I dont think they were designed or built with much accuracy as a goal. I am sure. I will take history and that reality over a very expensive Fulton any day. I think, as a general rule and in this case as well, you get what you pay for. Quality never comes cheap. On the other hand top acuracy is not where the quality comes in. Too see that look at a new Auto Ordnance. There is a purchase that makes no sense in my book.

Last edited by fourbore; 08-21-2019 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliyahu View Post

Eli
Eli, Purchased my Garand in 1984 and M1 Carbines, especially nice GI Carbines were not common then. Over the years they have become more scare and costly. If what you say is accurate, why not post several web sites they are available? I would like to see.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Walker View Post
Eli, Purchased my Garand in 1984 and M1 Carbines, especially nice GI Carbines were not common then. Over the years they have become more scare and costly. If what you say is accurate, why not post several web sites they are available? I would like to see.
The boards here have had a few around that price point in the last few months.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:39 AM

3 MOA with a Carbine is an interesting goal.

In my experience, limited of course, condition overall, appearance, beat-up-ed-ness, new-ness, re-buildedness, do not necessarily correlate to accuracy. The barrel matters. How the mechanism sits in the stock matters. The stability of that stock matters. Don’t expect much from a flexible in the hand cracked sanded to death stock with four rebuild marks on it. Rifling un-worn to the muzzle matters. Which is probably why my now used to death Blue Sky Inland is the most accurate Carbine I’ve ever used. A good stock and an unworn barrel.

Back to the topic.

For discussion 3 and 5 shot groups are BS. Statistically, you never know where the other 7 or 5 would have gone, so

10 round groups.

Then there is ammo.

USGI, LC etc is 6 MOA ammo in any Carbine.

Korean PSxx is better by a MOA or two.

Commercial is a guess anymore.

The 15.0 grain WW296 110 grain Remington FMJ bullet handload will do it or come close. Substituting Sierra 110 grain FMJ bullets makes rounder groups, perhaps a tad smaller. All depending on the Carbine of course.

A reasonable test for a Carbine once a load is settled on, say the WW296 handload, is the SR center at 200 yards. With enough skill to shoot and already having adjusted the front sight height for zero with that load, a good Carbine with the handload, prone, rested, sights smoke blackened, on a not windy day, can just barely manage the 6” 10 ring. That being 3 MOA.

Note that group size is one thing in the abstract and zeroing that group is another matter. Having a Carbine that is both accurate and zeroed is a goodie.

With a lot of Carbine ammo burned over the years and with some skill at shooting (NRA, Palma, Sniper) having won matches here and there, a 97-98 happens fairly often with a well set up Carbine and the 99-100’s damn rarely no matter what you do.

In perspective, that is the 3 MOA story, IMHO. The SR center does not lie. With a prone sling or standing, tall tales are told. 3 shot groups suddenly give a small MOA number to advertise.

A Carbine is not a Rock River A4 Match rifle where you can take pick-up 5.56mm brass, dump in Varget to the case neck, top off with a 69 Sierra, and the rifle will stay under 1 MOA unless you close your eyes.

[As an aside, MidwayUSA no longer offers the .307”, then .308”, and now discontinued Remington Bulk 110 grain FMJ or SP. They have the Hornady on a limited basis bulk. The Bulk 2000’s were economical. The website just says discontinued now. Phooey.]

Last edited by .Steve.; 11-04-2019 at 08:15 AM.