Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2019, 03:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC
Default Serif P in circle on bottom of grip on Inland stock

I have a low wood Inland stock with a circle P proof on the bottom of the pistol grip. The "P" is a serif instead of the normal non-serif P that I have seen on early Inland stocks. Is this a rebuild stamp or did Inland at any point use a serif P in a circle proof stamp on the bottom of the pistol grip?

I don't see any sign that this stock has been cut from highwood to low wood configuration.

Thanks any information.

Mike
Old 10-28-2019, 05:35 PM

Either a rebuild or from Bubba.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:29 PM

Does it look like this one: https://imgur.com/a/bo4hVxk
If so, Benicia rebuild proof I believe.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

BQ97 and GotSnlB28,

Thanks for the info, it likely is a Benicia rebuild proof because it looks exactly like the one picture posted by GotSnlB28.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-31-2019, 09:24 PM

I have a late Inland (barrel date 2/45), with what I have been told is a (O/I) "replacement" stock. This rifle was brought back from Korea by my late Uncle. The man that inspected the rifle told me that the stock was likely a replacement. The man that evaluated the rifle was a local gun shop operator in Northwest Ohio - and a former armorer at Camp Perry. I understand there are people on this thread that would encourage me to find a Type 4 (long barrel), stock to make the firearm more "real" or "accurate." However, I love being the curator of a WWII era firearm that has an actual connection to me.
I don't have a lot of money but I feel like I won a pretty damn good lottery...
Old 11-01-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipSpanky View Post
I have a late Inland (barrel date 2/45), with what I have been told is a (O/I) "replacement" stock. This rifle was brought back from Korea by my late Uncle. The man that inspected the rifle told me that the stock was likely a replacement. The man that evaluated the rifle was a local gun shop operator in Northwest Ohio - and a former armorer at Camp Perry. I understand there are people on this thread that would encourage me to find a Type 4 (long barrel), stock to make the firearm more "real" or "accurate." However, I love being the curator of a WWII era firearm that has an actual connection to me.
I don't have a lot of money but I feel like I won a pretty damn good lottery...
I think most collectors on this forum would advise you to leave it exactly as it was received. Congrats on a great piece of military history!