Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2019, 07:56 PM

Default Carbines from the Past

Sold by CMP in 2003. About equal or better than the Greek Collector Grade Garands. No grease to mess with, just dry VCI.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:12 PM

Wow, that's a sweet group. In 2003, I was happy with my 1 carbine, a DCM Saginaw SG. Wish I would have caught the collecting bug earlier.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:00 AM

I purchased an Inland Service Grade which turned out to be an Austrian gun in very fine condition. Not shot much. Now I wish I had picked up several more and even tried a field grade. Nice collection of this remarkable artifact.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:02 PM

Great guns and IMHO the best released from U.S. inventory. Became known as "white bag" M1 Carbines. Inspected a gang of them and I would say most still had original Type I or II bands, un-sanded cartouched Low and Highwood stocks, mint original barrels, and overall new from rebuild condition.

Most I inspected were re-parked and upgraded with adjustable sights, rotary safeties and improved mag catches. However, they were not upgraded with type III bands or high-woods modified to low-wood or had any rebuild depot markings. I seriously doubt any saw action after WWII. I always suspected that these white bag carbines were rebuilt soon after WWII in Europe probably by FN. Then back to US, treated VPI for long term storage, and wound up at CMP.

If anyone has knowledge of the history of these carbines I would love to know! C
Old 11-08-2019, 06:38 PM

Who are the manufacturers if you know off the top of your head? Wish I had one of those. They look nice but I was graduating high school at the time.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:56 PM

We’re these white bag carbine only available to Club sales at that time?
Old 11-08-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemenza View Post
Great guns and IMHO the best released from U.S. inventory. Became known as "white bag" M1 Carbines. Inspected a gang of them and I would say most still had original Type I or II bands, un-sanded cartouched Low and Highwood stocks, mint original barrels, and overall new from rebuild condition.

Most I inspected were re-parked and upgraded with adjustable sights, rotary safeties and improved mag catches. However, they were not upgraded with type III bands or high-woods modified to low-wood or had any rebuild depot markings. I seriously doubt any saw action after WWII. I always suspected that these white bag carbines were rebuilt soon after WWII in Europe probably by FN. Then back to US, treated VPI for long term storage, and wound up at CMP.

If anyone has knowledge of the history of these carbines I would love to know! C
I saw a ton of these in Viet Nam. terry
Old 11-08-2019, 08:02 PM

"We’re these white bag carbines only available to Club sales at that time?"

Before 2003, that was true. They were saved for Clubs with Junior programs. After January 2003, a Carbine Club member could buy up to three. Club sales were limited to ten per Club.
As I understand it, these ten were sold to a Club in 2003. By the middle of 2003, they were sold out.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:12 PM

All CMP Carbines are sold out, except what they auction.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemenza View Post

Beyond cleaning and packing, the postwar FN work was pretty rudimentary:

1. Verify stock is serviceable.
2. Verify headspace is between 1.290 - 1.296.
3. Verify barrel pitting is within limits.
4. Verify safety operates properly.
5. Verify piston is free.
6. Perform MWO ORD B29-W1, 2, and 3.

If any FN carbines ended up as white bags, it was coincidental. MWO W6 (rotary safety) was approved on 10 Dec 47, long after the FN work was complete.