Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2019, 10:59 AM

Default Help w/Magazine Catches

Picked up these mag catches and need some insight into their proper classification.

First up is a Type I that is unmarked except for a punch mark. I am guessing this is Winchester?

Next up is a short faced marked "W." The checkering is supposed to be for a Type I Winchester prototype. Is this a Type I that was modified to a Type II?

Finally, a short face with some unusual milling marks on the face. Not serrated but not plain face. Marked E.I. Was this a Type I that was modified to Type II?

Old 11-11-2019, 11:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

The first mag catch looks like the first production WRA mag catch. Not sure about the second one, many of the very early WRA parts weren't marked with a "W" so I would guess any prototype parts wouldn't be marked with a "W", but my knowledge is limited on these early and prototype parts. The last mag catch looks like a short plain face Inland mag catch that simply wasn't machined as smooth as normal.

PM sent.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:48 PM

The OP's first and second mag catch shown are unlike any I have seen.

The serrated mag catch appears to have 90 degree channels cut into the face rather than beveled serrations. Reference several images of this type in War Baby! by Ruth, pgs. 48, 304.

The checkered mag catch shown in an image in War Baby!, pg. 35. has a diagonal pattern, not parallel to the side of the catch like the second OP's example.

I agree with Mike that the third mag catch is just a roughly machined Type 2.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:26 PM

There are several examples of serrated mag catches shown here.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/triggergroup4.html

Last edited by jackp; 11-11-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:55 PM

I had a mag catch like the second one on a sporterized carbine once, someone had done a nice job adding the cross serration on the face. May or may not be the case here.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSnlB28 View Post
I had a mag catch like the second one on a sporterized carbine once, someone had done a nice job adding the cross serration on the face. May or may not be the case here.
But it's got the Winchester "w" and punch mark on the back, and does not appear to be refinished or a repop.

Where is 6 Ring or Brian?

Last edited by gap; 11-11-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:54 PM

As far as I know there was never a USGI Type 2 cross hatched mag catch. Where did you pick these up?
Old 11-11-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackp View Post
As far as I know there was never a USGI Type 2 cross hatched mag catch. Where did you pick these up?
But yet, there it is!

Purchased from a large collection of miscellaneous carbine, Garand and other military parts being sold by a private individual. Everything that I saw appeared old, dirty and legit. The seller purchased the items in bulk and had limited knowledge of carbine parts. All of the other items I purchased are unquestionably legit.

Last edited by gap; 11-11-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:26 PM

Let's see if anyone else chimes in.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
But it's got the Winchester "w" and punch mark on the back, and does not appear to be refinished or a repop.

Where is 6 Ring or Brian?

Right, the one I have is an original Inland catch that someone cross serrated as part of sporterizing an original rifle. Now I'm not suggesting that is definitively what you have, just that I have seen one like that on the rifle I bought once. Yours does look more "factory" than mine.