Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
And you should be worried.
Garand and M1A is not the best choice for self defense
If one used either for a club the perp would be hurting.I reload for my M1 and have shot 2.5" groups which were good enough to knock down a Colorado Mule Deer buck at approx 300 yards with a neck shot.When I took it in to the packing house in Meeker,CO all of the staff came out to look cause I did it with a garand.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:55 AM

Does the M1 Carbine have the same issue with modern day .30 Carbine ammo being too hot as the M1 Garand has with 30/06 or can you shoot the modern made ammo in a M1 Carbine with no adverse affects? Thanks...
Old 12-11-2009, 09:31 AM

SaCCal I just got my first Garand this past summer and have been doing my home work on starting to reload. I bought the ABC's of reloading and read it. Very good book. As far as equipment goes I am planning to go the Lee kit # 90030 looks like the best buy and if i dont like it i am only out $150.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:17 AM

Lee Classic Press.

Excellent, affordable, and has the leverage to resize 30-06.

Made of real iron and steel.

Love mine.

+1 for Ebay. Reloading gear on the cheap.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaCCaL View Post
Does the M1 Carbine have the same issue with modern day .30 Carbine ammo being too hot as the M1 Garand has with 30/06 or can you shoot the modern made ammo in a M1 Carbine with no adverse affects? Thanks...
No. The powders used in commercial .30 Carbine and military .30 Carbine ammo are similar.

Don
Old 12-13-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.S. Mantooth Jr. View Post
SaCCal;

Go to YouTube. You can get a fairly good informal tutorage there on just about anything dealing with reloading. When you get ready to start buying, come back here and ask any and all questions you can think of.

There are different qualities in each reloading component. Myself, I prefer the RCBS product line. Others favor Lee, Redding, Hornady, Dillon, or other's. It's going to depend on how much cash you are willing to lay out. All of the above will give you great, consistent loads. The same goes with Reloading Manuals. There are some, and I forget which one, that give Garand specific loads. Ask questions, and shop around. There are many companies like MidSouth, MidWayUSA, Sinclair, Brownell's, Cabela's and other's that can supply everything needed to make very good loads, equal or better than what you can buy over the counter. Plus, IMHO, there is a special kind of therapy in rolling your own.

Best of luck to you Sir.
That would be the Hornady reloading manual the latest edition
Old 12-14-2009, 03:05 PM

I am the proud owner of a "special" I purchased abour a year ago. What a great shooter--very accurate and pretty besides. The only downside is having to spend half or more of my range time talking about it to everyone who would love to own one, and letting a special few fire a clip or so.

I also looked into reloading. At $650 for basic equipment, Sierra 168's and CCI primers with my HXP brass, I worked out the reloading costs (as I recall) as follows: About $1.15 per round for the first 1,000 rounds; $0.85 or so for 2,000 rounds; and about $0.73 for the first 3,000 rounds.

I decided to buy 1 case of the new Hornady Match ammo at 200 rounds for $250 just to see how much improvement in accuracy I can squeeze out the rifle. If it seems worth it once I receive my order, I will invest in reloading. If not, I may let the CMP get me a great deal on match ammo and buy it there. Also, Orest says they will be getting some Hornady stardard ammo in soon. It might be fun to compare that performance against the HXP and the Hornady match to see whether reloading is worth it.

Good luck.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:19 PM

Your math is all wrong on the handloading. You can be loading with a Lee kit and a few other basics for about $200. Sierra Match bullets are overkill for 1-200yard matches. I suggest 110gr Hornady Spire points or 125gr speer TNTs which are available in 500s and 8lbs of VarGet or 4895. You handloads will be way better than HXP, recoil and cost less. Good Shooting
Old 12-15-2009, 05:19 PM

I agree with ceresco I got into reloading for under 200
for a Lee Aniv reloading kit and 3 sets of dies, trimmers etc.
Another 130 for powder, primers and bullets.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:34 PM

Like cresco said. New ammo is going to do nothing but go up in price.