Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2020, 10:34 PM

Default Kimber 82g

I have two of the CMP Kimber 82g's and they disappoint with their accuracy. Does anyone make a good barrel for the 82g that would compare to an Anschutz barrel quality?
Old 01-16-2020, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako30 View Post
I have two of the CMP Kimber 82g's and they disappoint with their accuracy. Does anyone make a good barrel for the 82g that would compare to an Anschutz barrel quality?
Have you tried good quality cartridges in your Kimbers? Center-X, Midas Plus and the higher grade Eley generally do well.

Back when the CMP was offering the Kimber 82g's new for $500 complete with sights, I agonized over buying one. However, reports were mixed concerning accuracy. Some shot great while other not so and it seemed to be about even. It was a case of luck of the draw and I didn't buy one.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:34 AM
GSM Master Instructor

Try re-crowning it before rebarreling. Some of them have issues.
Mike B
Old 01-16-2020, 10:00 AM

I bought a used Kimber Model 82 from the CMP back around 2007. It had been used by an ROTC rifle team, I believe, and the stock was a bit scratched up. But the rifle is a real tack driver. Most accurate rifle I have ever owned.

I have since refinished the stock and added the proper Australian made sights.

Additionally, I added a Freeland adjustable butt and a hand stop with sling swivel from a Parker & Hale target rifle.

I use mainly Federal long rifle hollow points and they have proven accurate and reliable.

Try mounting a good quality scope on your rifles and use a good quality bench rest to see if you can get a consistent grouping.

Last edited by navyrifleman; 01-16-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:43 AM

I have heard that there is a test for estimating if a particular 82G should be an accurate one. I forget the details, but it involved shoving something (cleaning brush? patch? bullet?) down the bore from the breech end to the muzzle. If it gets more and more difficult as you go, that means the barrel is tighter towards the muzzle and will be a good shooter.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:23 PM

One rifle was recrowned with only a slight improvement. I've cleaned the barrel between brands and used Federal match, SK, Eley, Center X, Aguila and more, I've had other acomplished shooters shoot both rifles with the same results.
I use a nightforce target scope and shoot from a very good bench.
In perfect conditions the guns will hold about 3moa at a hundred yards and my friends Benjamin air rifle shooting beside me shoots a 1.25 moa off of the same bench.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:31 PM

I find it strange that you got have two Kimbers and are both having accuracy problems. Have you torqued the action screws and how many inch lbs are they set at?
Also give chamber area a good scrubbing with brush and solvent.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:48 PM

+1 on checking to see if the bbl is reverse-choked - one intrepid soul in that situation even reinstalled the bbl backward & reworked the rifle.
Sounds like more fun than merely installing a new bbl, at least. :-/
OP, I have a few articles on improving the accuracy of these rifles, if you're interested.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:02 PM

WE torqued the action screws at 25 inch pounds.
I have never heard of a gun with a reverse choke barrel.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako30 View Post
WE torqued the action screws at 25 inch pounds.
I have never heard of a gun with a reverse choke barrel.
Some of these rifles are torque sensitive. Start at 18lbs fire five rds ,look at accuracy torque again at 22lbs fire rds ,check accuracy, etc etc, work your way up to 35 lbs etc. See were the sweet spot is
It takes some time but is not unusual