Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2020, 05:01 PM

I had a really nice 4/45 barrel show up this week with the muzzle poking out of the box. Luckily no crown damage but I had a really sick feeling when I saw it. Itís a MW 1.25/TE 2.75 with a like new bore so it wasnít exactly cheap.

The seller had it packed well. Just not up to USPS manhandling though.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:57 PM

Mattee88. Sorry about your package being destroyed. What everyone has to remember is cost efficient handling of your purchase is the service you are going to receive whoever that is, FedEx, UPS, USPS or DHL.None of the aforementioned businesses hand sort anything anymore, not like the old days. They run on conveyors and slides so anything can get damaged by a bigger package that can weigh 100 pounds. The senders need to be sure everything is properly packed. As far as talking to your local post master, you might feel better after you vent, but they canít help.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:26 PM

I "always " over packaged items just in case. Never had anything damaged I have shipped and I have shipped thousands of items. Unfortunately you cant just put something in a box and ship it. If you do it may not make it in one piece
Old 06-30-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I "always " over packaged items just in case. Never had anything damaged I have shipped and I have shipped thousands of items. Unfortunately you cant just put something in a box and ship it. If you do it may not make it in one piece
that, and I think writing "fragile" on the box just encourage them to try to break the contents
Old 06-30-2020, 06:42 PM

I have had both FedEx and UPS lose stuff and as much as 6-weeks later, deliver it. Stuck in some box on some truck or some shelf and eventually stumbled across. FedEX got so bad and heard from me so often, they sent me a $75 gift card as a peace offering.

A UPS driver tried to deliver me an empty box once. I persuaded him that we should look in the truck. There the item was lying on the floor.

If you ship or receive stuff often enough, things will happen.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:23 PM

SEANinMICH, writing on the box means nothing to the OPTICAL CHARACTER READER that scans the package and prints the routing label, and conveyers canít read, so it is a waste of time, to write fragile handle with care on the package. Humans donít sort machines do, cost effective, efficient, economical, the world we live in today.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:09 PM

To the OP it is sad what happened to you. ...but that is the reason I get the added insurance coverage for the value of the item. I always ship rifles in the cheap plastic gun cases with foam and then in a box stuffed with peanuts. You can't rely anymore on freight handlers today because some of them just don't give a damn.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:10 PM

Never ever send anything over $50 through the post office. Even with their extra insurance it's a crap shoot. Their shipping tracking sucks, and if you need to file a claim it takes forever and hoop jumping to get anywhere.

Last item I received from the post office was a barrel. Lucky it made it. The end cap was all busted up and the only thing keeping it in the tube was a piece of tape.

Get a home account for UPS or FedEx and print and ship from home. They are the better option with higher priced items.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:03 AM

contact the Postal Inspectors + your U.S. representatives -
Old 07-01-2020, 07:15 AM

The person receiving the package should always file the claim. You can do it online. They make the check out to the person who files it. If you don't the seller risks that check getting lost. Then they have to deposit it, send the buyer a check and risk the refund check getting lost mailing it to the buyer again.