Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2020, 06:02 AM

Default Plainfield Carbine Redux

Here are a few pictures of a Plainfield I bought recently. The gun has been refinished and has some rust pitting on the receiver bridge and slide handle. But it refinished fine and the overall color is nice and even. The bore is shiny and the bolt does not close on a Manson field gauge.

It had a funky 1960s Bianchi wire stock on it when I bought it that I replaced with a walnut stock from Auto Ordnance.

Nothing unique, rare or extraordinary. But these are fun little guns just the same. With GI guns becoming more and more collectible it now seems the older commercial guns are coming into their own as workhorse/shooters.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Col Studler; 07-02-2020 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:23 AM

Very nice.

I've got a 1980 or so vintage Iver Johnson in 30 carbine. It was given to me a while back and I never really got into shooting it until recently. It's actually a pretty good little shooter and holds its own. With open sights, I can generally get shots within a 2" square from benchrest and banging the steel plate at 100 yards happens regularly.

The gun was apparently made to have interchangeable parts (mostly) with GI carbines but it appears to have a commercial cast slide and trigger housing, as far as I can see. Just recently, the cast trigger housing broke while shoot at the range, and I replaced it with a steel GI trigger assembly from Fulton. Fit well and works well.

Since I don't know the history of the gun, I've ordered a replacement recoil spring from Numrich and hope to continue shooting and reloading for this firearm.

Thanks,

Bayou
Old 07-01-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou View Post
Since I don't know the history of the gun, I've ordered a replacement recoil spring from Numrich...
I wonder about this recoil spring from Fulton. It is relatively expensive. Is it worth the additional cost?

https://www.fulton-armory.com/recoilspringnewgi-1.aspx
Old 07-01-2020, 09:43 AM

^^^Appears to be a standard spring. Should work from the looks of it...
Old 07-01-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Very nice.

I've got a 1980 or so vintage Iver Johnson in 30 carbine. It was given to me a while back and I never really got into shooting it until recently. It's actually a pretty good little shooter and holds its own.
Just a heads-up when it comes time to replace parts in an Iver Johnson. I have a couple, mainly because the ones I have are unique and Iver Johnson is the only manufacturer that made them. In my research and parts-swapping to harden these carbines, I discovered that IJ bolts are a little longer than GI or even Universal bolts in terms of the measurement from the rear of the right lug to the bolt face. Early guns might not be an issue, but toward the end of their run just prior to bankruptcy, they might have installed any bolt they had. If they installed a Universal or GI bolt in a action mass head-spaced for an IJ bolt, it could lead to long head space. Just needs consideration if one plans to change a bolt. Some IJ parts are somewhat scarce and the bolt is one of them. If you are ever forced to use a GI bolt in a IJ carbine, a barrel replacement might be in order to bring the action back into spec. I had to hunt-n-peck for GI bolts long enough to render the action safe in both my IJ carbines.

Last edited by 309Carbine; 07-01-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:59 PM

^^^ Thanks for the info!
Old 07-02-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
^^^Appears to be a standard spring. Should work from the looks of it...
I'm sure it'll fit and function fine. Is it worth the premium price over a standard spring?

Old 07-02-2020, 08:20 PM

Well, the standard spring you pointed out from Fulton was only $8.95. The one I ordered from Numrich was about the same price - $8.00. Both exclusive of shipping. So basic prices are about the same.

Although I bought from Numrich, only later did I notice their shipping was more delayed. I wish I would have gotten the Fulton spring in hindsight...

Bayou
Old 07-02-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Well, the standard spring you pointed out from Fulton was only $8.95. The one I ordered from Numrich was about the same price - $8.00. Both exclusive of shipping. So basic prices are about the same.

Although I bought from Numrich, only later did I notice their shipping was more delayed. I wish I would have gotten the Fulton spring in hindsight...

Bayou
The "standard" spring from Fulton is $4.95.

https://www.fulton-armory.com/recoilspringnewgi.aspx

Old 07-02-2020, 09:12 PM

^^^ I see what you're pointing out. Nonetheless, a couple dollar cost differential is a nonissue, for me, at least.

Bayou