Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2020, 11:34 PM

Default Winchester M1 Carbine Rail Crack Question

I was going through my Carbine collection and found a very weird 2" long crack on a Winchester receiver, on top of the right side rail where the bolt lug rides on. The SN is 1,098,xxx, it has a circle P on the end of the barrel but no typical maker by the front sight.

Any idea how or.why this rail crack started ? Any idea if someone can fix it or if it's even worth repairing ? If you send a PM with your text or email I'll send pics.

Thanks
Old 07-07-2020, 06:21 AM

Is it possible to post pics? Currently receivers are pretty cheap, the other parts aren't. That may be you best bet, I'm nervous anytime there is a crack anywhere in the receiver.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:45 AM

This sounds like the rash of cracks reported in the same area on Universal carbines. Longitudinal crack down the top of the right side-rail.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:22 AM

With a WRA serial number in that range I'm guessing it's a type one springtube, which were known to crack on the right hand side.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:24 AM

Receivers are very thin in that area, the Winchester in that range would have a detachable spring tube- which removed even more "reinforcing" in that part of the reveiver. Winchester barrels will have only a small W or a WP cartouche on the bbl; if you have a type 3 band, the marking is likely under the band.

I would not say a crack in that area is unusual or weird; if a carbine receiver "cracks", it will most likely be in that area, or in the angle where that shelf meets the receiver wall.
Cracked due to ? Stress, mishandling, barrel removal without proper tools or enough care.

I've not seen any "pretty cheap" receivers, but "cheap" is in the eye of the buyer.
I would expect to pay a minimum of $400 for a Winchester receiver. New mfg. receivers from Fulton Arms will run $325 with shipping.

It might be "fixable" but might not be pretty, the area you describe is not subject to critical pressures.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:46 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by deldriver View Post
With a WRA serial number in that range I'm guessing it's a type one springtube, which were known to crack on the right hand side.
Well said with very few words and no attitude. This is how it's done.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:33 AM

If the crack is in the top slide rail and not in the bottom rail, it was not caused by it being a springtube receiver or not.
Usually, an approximately two inch crack in the top slide rail was caused by an out of battery fire, OBF which blew the slide out of the track and cracked the rail. Sometimes when this happens, the left receiver bolt lug is damaged and is a tell tale sign of an OBF.
The head space should be checked to insure there is no problem there.
When the carbine is fired again, usually the slide will jump out of its slot due to the crack opening up the slide track. Do not fire the carbine anymore. You need a new receiver.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:32 PM

Thanks to everyone for their input. Yes this is a spring tube receiver thats easily removable and directly above the tube is where the crack is. The crack does not penetrate to the underside of the rail and it does not penetrate the front shoulder face where the right side bolt lug locks in. It has a Winchester flat bolt, there is no damage, galling or wear to the left bolt lug, so I'm thinking this isn't an out of battery caused issue.

Since the crack doesn't penetrate the rail and it's not a high stress area, would be possible to grind out the crack and weld it ? Would the receiver have to be re-heat treated ?

I have pics but no clue how to post them, but if someone sends me a pm I'm happy to text or email them.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:59 PM

The crack does penetrate the underside of the rail at the point where the metal is the thinnest. If you look at the milling of the grove, the cut goes straight in and with the bolt rail sloped, there is thin metal right where the crack is located. And I have never seen a crack go into the shoulder where the right bolt lug rests because the slide groove stops short and the metal is thicker.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Ring View Post
The crack does penetrate the underside of the rail at the point where the metal is the thinnest. If you look at the milling of the grove, the cut goes straight in and with the bolt rail sloped, there is thin metal right where the crack is located. And I have never seen a crack go into the shoulder where the right bolt lug rests because the slide groove stops short and the metal is thicker.
How dare you question my 62 year old eyes.......Ok, maybe they're not as good as they used to be, so I'll pull out my microscope to check.
Using my 99c 2.5 magnifiers, there wasn't an obvious crack under the rail and certainly not visible like the crack on top.

Tags
carbine, gunsmith, repair, winchester