Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2018, 01:54 PM

I'm headed to Wal-Mart! Anybody want to split a pack of stars? I don't need 100...
Old 01-14-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallased View Post
And that is credentialitis in our modern society. Anybody can establish them as an accredited whatever. If people see credentials, they are convinced, even if the credentialed party is a joke.
I wonder if that was signed off on by the infamous Snoopy from "the Stamps"

Danny

Harrington &Richardson 5,549,399.

I would drive right past the CMP "shoots" at Camp Perry to attend the National Matches.
"REPO" M1 Parts: The parts that you buy that they come to take back later on.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelap View Post
“Certificate” and Data Sheet contradict each other. Certificate says “original”, Data Sheet says “corrected”.

Stock has rebuild mark so it is questionable.

I’d really have to see small parts to be happy there are no reproduction parts (lots of repop gas cylinder lock screws around”.

“Life is Good!”
I read the 'certificate' several times. It reads: "...is an original U.S. Govt Issue M1 Garand with specifications as detailed on the accompanying data sheet". "All parts listed have been inspected and verified and the firearm tested by CGS who hereby certifies it's authenticity."

Besides the several errors in grammar and punctuation, the 'certificate' indicates to me that: 1.) The rifle is (was) a USGI, and not a lend-lease, foreign-built, or aftermarket Garand. 2.) The information about the rifle's components is on a data sheet that comes with the rifle. 3.) CGS 'tested' the rifle, and inspected and verified that all of the rifle's components are authentic.

I knew nothing about the existance of CGS until this thread. Looking at their website, I can see that they seem to have an extremely limited inventory of M1 parts. Their last gun show info is from 2013. Their website has no details on 'certification' for M1 rifles.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:53 AM

I just checked my Garand collection, and determined that all are authentic.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firescout View Post
I read the 'certificate' several times. It reads: "...is an original U.S. Govt Issue M1 Garand with specifications as detailed on the accompanying data sheet". "All parts listed have been inspected and verified and the firearm tested by CGS who hereby certifies it's authenticity."

Besides the several errors in grammar and punctuation, the 'certificate' indicates to me that: 1.) The rifle is (was) a USGI, and not a lend-lease, foreign-built, or aftermarket Garand. 2.) The information about the rifle's components is on a data sheet that comes with the rifle. 3.) CGS 'tested' the rifle, and inspected and verified that all of the rifle's components are authentic.

I knew nothing about the existance of CGS until this thread. Looking at their website, I can see that they seem to have an extremely limited inventory of M1 parts. Their last gun show info is from 2013. Their website has no details on 'certification' for M1 rifles.
I found CGS too, and to be honest, I am doubtful that the entity certififying this M1 has anything to do with the CGS we found on the web, and is probably just a name made up by the seller, with the coincidence that this CGS we found has the same name.

Danny

Harrington &Richardson 5,549,399.

I would drive right past the CMP "shoots" at Camp Perry to attend the National Matches.
"REPO" M1 Parts: The parts that you buy that they come to take back later on.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:19 PM

My favorite part of the certificate is the completely illegible signature and no printed version of the name.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:13 PM

The seller is actually a pretty good local shop. However, they buy rifles and take trades (I don't think I have ever bought one without bringing one for a trade as well), and like most shops, their experience is glocks and ARs. I have, on many occasions, helped them correct a tag or two.
I suspect the rifle came to them with this certificate and they are passing along what they heard.
You may want to check the GB listing, it has relisted 4711 times so no one has been fooled yet.
I have never seen such a certificate, it is pretty funny.
JH
Old 02-18-2018, 05:01 PM

I hope nobody buys it, me no like shady people.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:39 PM

looks like it was built using one of those heavy sandblasted c grade receivers the cmp sold awhile back.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:12 PM

Certificate paper (Amazon Prime price) = $10.99 a bundle
Serrated edge metallic gold seals (also Amazon Prime price) = $18.19 per roll
Added value to M1 Garand = $1,300

Did my math workout right? I was kind of giving them a little bit of benefit of the doubt because I like that stock and lockbar sight.