Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnmccoy View Post
Whats the damage on something like that?
I priced it as shown for about $475. Take $30 off for the custom engraving. It's listed on the Leupold site on the bottom of the custom scopes.

I'm thinking of the same thing as my eyesight, at 56, isn't all that great.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:26 PM

I have also been giving the optic a try during our Winter league. I started out with a Leupold VX Hog with a primary arms deluxe mount. I shoot NTCH or over rather than to, in all positions. The Pig Plex is pretty heavy but is quite doable at 3-4x. The biggest issue is that it is based on the VX1 platform and the turrets are less than optimal and there are not a lot of options for upgrade from Leupold. Cost is roughly $229 for scope + $60 for mount. The scope C/L is with this setup is 1.50 from receiver rail. I shot it in a few matches and really like using the scope.

The scope boxed decently I guess...

Shooting this 96 standing in the last 100 reduced league match seemed almost effortless.

I recently decided I was going to rebuild my A4 for 2016 along with my A2 and that I may as well get a scope that I want to run and that I can upgrade. So I bought a Leupold VXR and opted for the firedot circle reticle. The base is a 6" Yankee hill and the rings are 30mm viper vortex for the time being. This puts the C/L of the scope at 1.38 from the receiver rail which is the same as the aperture for irons. I have yet to fire this setup. The turret adjustments are nice and I may send this scope to Leupold for the CDS turrets and ultimately some knobs from Kenton. The reticle cross wires subtend .7 MOA @ 4x with the fire dot subtending 1 MOA. The circle is roughly 18 MOA @ 4x. Kind of large to use like match rifle sights.

Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
CMP HP Rifle RO
Old 01-03-2016, 08:41 PM

If they had a plain square top post 3 min wide right in the middle, that is what I would have gotten. I chose the post-plex because it was the closest to it. It's Ok, but the post part is pointy, and the plex part is too fat, so it's not quite what I wanted to see, but I'll live with it. A lot of people are liking the Pig-Plex because it is the smallest circle type reticle, but you just can't go wrong with a plain fine duplex.
Distinguished Rifleman #2198
NRA HP XTC High Master (service rifle)
NRA Patron Life member
PCGC Junior Team coach
CMP GSM Master Inst.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:05 PM

I am liking the fine duplex on the scope I have been playing with.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:36 AM

I'm loving the pig plex on the VX-Hog scope, but have only dry fired with it so far. The knobs do suck though. I added a couple layers of foil in the female slot on the adjusters under the plastic caps (thanks for the tip from another on the national match forum) and it took a lot of the play out. I'll use it for this year and see what is available for next year. I got the scope for $206 shipped from optics planet and I am using the same YHM rail that Rootsy has on his second pictured set up.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:41 AM

I found with the pig plex that no matter how hard I tried to use the circle like my match rifle sights that the cross wires ended up being the focal point of my sight. They are heavy, even at 4X. It was just too cramped and busy and on 4x where you had a lot of pie slices outside of the cross wires the line of white between bull and circle was too tight. YMMV but that is just my opinion.

Had I been able to find a VXR off the shelf with the SPR reticle I probably would have gone with that since the cross wires subtend less than the firedot duplex or circle. The circle in the SPR is not very usable unless you need a frame hold for some reason. It is massive in diameter. Heck the firedot circle may be usable that way, time will tell.

Hopefully Leupold will offer up a simple reticle for our sport in the future. Either a simple flat topped post or a simple circle of the right size with nothing inside of it.
NRA Certified RSO
CMP HP Rifle RO
Old 01-07-2016, 11:32 AM

It looks like the Leupold Turkey Plex circle is 14.4" at 100 yds. That's getting close to a useable size but I think the circle would have to be thicker to better match the sight picture of aperture match rifle sights.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:32 PM

Has anyone looked at the Nightforce NXS 1-4x24 with ZeroStop as a Service Rifle Scope?
ZeroStop could be set to the 200yrd zero and the turrets can be quickly changed for 300 & 600. A match scope will have to be quickly adjustable and reliable to re-zero.
It's expensive at $1500, is the quality worth the cost?
FC-3G Reticle, Center dot is 1.5MOA
IHR Reticle, illuminated crosshair type
http://nightforceoptics.com/nxs/1-4x24
http://www.opticsplanet.com/nightfor...S-4X24MOA-C464
Old 08-02-2016, 10:21 PM

Lets keep the scope debate and reviews off this thread. There is an equipment thread for that.
One thing I would like to touch on in this installment is sportsmanship, and conduct at the matches. It's ok to have fun and shoot with your friends, but be mindful of others. Too much talking or any talking more than one point away is very irritating to other shooters. I know I have been guilty of it in the past, and have been asked to pipe down before. When this happens, sincerely apologize and learn your lesson. It is always best to remain as quiet as possible, and refrain from outburst of disappointment whenever a string of fire or shot is less than you wanted. Don't be like the golfer that throws his clubs or breaks them around a tree. Emotional outburst are always regrettable no matter where they are.
Another thing that I hate to see is unnecessary profanity, and blasphemy in the pits. We have lots of junior shooters, and faithful Christians in our community that are on their vacation too. One should conduct themselves in a manner that doesn't contribute to the decline of our society. We all know too well that it is occurring, and we as individuals can take a small step in the right direction, with respect to others, and ourselves to clean up our mouths. I know it's just the way people talk today, and it's no different than the way people act today. But ask yourself if it is better than the standard of conduct we took for granted not so long ago ? We are so bombarded with profanity that we have replaced "wow" with "WTF", and an attractive woman with children is now a 'MILF', and everything is GD this and GD that, and the most blasphemous OMFG should not be tolerated. We act as if we don't care, or that we are entitled to be crude, in any environment. It's time to take note of the decline of accepted behavior, and turn the other way. It isn't hard to do when you realize it makes us look like idiots that cannot be distinguished from gangsters or prison inmates by the way we speak and behave. Don't be that guy in the pits that has a captive audience for their show of disrespect to all within earshot.
Distinguished Rifleman #2198
NRA HP XTC High Master (service rifle)
NRA Patron Life member
PCGC Junior Team coach
CMP GSM Master Inst.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:52 AM

We are of the mindset that we have to be QUIET lest we disturb a shooter. Has anyone ever seen the crowds and the noise they make at European / international matches and even at air rifle matchs right there at Camp Perry?

The CMP staff plainly said make some noise during the AiR15 shoot off last week and no one made a peep until after firing was complete by all shooters. It is our mindset. For me when I am shooting I am tunnel visioned on the task at hand. Not much disturbs me unless I want it to.

Sometimes the profanities can get a bit excessive. Especially if on the line.

But honestly, unsportsmanlike conduct is someone acting like an ****** to other competitors, being verbally abusing to fellow shooters or being physically aggressive to fellow competitors and or equipment. I recently shot near some of this on two seperste days. Dude needs a chill pill before he is asked to leave...
NRA Certified RSO
CMP HP Rifle RO