Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Auction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2018, 07:17 PM

Default Where did the bolt guns come from?

I see this week there was a 40-X single shot, a barrelled receiver, a Steyr 300 Meter and some other unique pieces. We're these transferred thru the Army or by private donations? Any Ideas?
Old 06-30-2018, 07:21 PM

Most likely private donations . Bob
Old 06-30-2018, 09:20 PM

Returns can come from a lot of obscure places. Closed bases that purchased sporting arms, closed ROTC units, etc..
Old 06-30-2018, 09:44 PM

Yes I'm sure. I guess my point is it would be nice to know if I was bidding on a Army returned 40-X or a donation from XYZ shooter or his estate. Just the history buff in me.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfo87 View Post
Yes I'm sure. I guess my point is it would be nice to know if I was bidding on a Army returned 40-X or a donation from XYZ shooter or his estate. Just the history buff in me.
I certainly share your sentiments. But, I think the CMP has long since decided that they will not disclose origin. An M1 is an M1 whether it came from US stores or a MAP return, or Grandpa Bill’s estate.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T38Carbine View Post
I certainly share your sentiments. But, I think the CMP has long since decided that they will not disclose origin. An M1 is an M1 whether it came from US stores or a MAP return, or Grandpa Billís estate.
But we are not talking about M1s. The question is about the oddball bolt guns that are sold in all manner of conditions. They have no issue with identifying the Marine Corp sniper rifles. Detail history may not be available, but it would be nice to know if the item came out of Army storage or Bubba's gun collection.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdomingue View Post
But we are not talking about M1s. The question is about the oddball bolt guns that are sold in all manner of conditions. They have no issue with identifying the Marine Corp sniper rifles. Detail history may not be available, but it would be nice to know if the item came out of Army storage or Bubba's gun collection.
Same policy applies to all products.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Same policy applies to all products.
I am not sure if it a policy or not, but doesn't apply to all products:

"US Marine Corp Issue 10x Unertl Sniper Telescope"
"
"The Civilian Marksmanship Program has acquired a small quantity of these telescopes. These are very rarely seen on the civilian market, as USMC marked Unertl scopes were never sold directly to the public. "

"Up for auction is a DEFENSE ADVANCED RESEARCH PROJECT AGENCY (DARPA) XM-3 Sniper Rifle used by the United States Marine Corps. In mid-2005, DARPA worked with Lt. Col. Norm Chandlerís Iron Brigade Armory (IBA)"

"This barreled action was received from DOD with a lot of other miscellaneous rifles."
Old 07-01-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdomingue View Post
I am not sure if it a policy or not, but doesn't apply to all products:

"US Marine Corp Issue 10x Unertl Sniper Telescope"
"
"The Civilian Marksmanship Program has acquired a small quantity of these telescopes. These are very rarely seen on the civilian market, as USMC marked Unertl scopes were never sold directly to the public. "

"Up for auction is a DEFENSE ADVANCED RESEARCH PROJECT AGENCY (DARPA) XM-3 Sniper Rifle used by the United States Marine Corps. In mid-2005, DARPA worked with Lt. Col. Norm Chandlerís Iron Brigade Armory (IBA)"

"This barreled action was received from DOD with a lot of other miscellaneous rifles."
Good point!! I guess itís policy when they feel like it!!
Old 07-01-2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Good point!! I guess itís policy when they feel like it!!
I knew you guys would work out your differences. Mean while if anyone knows anything about this crop of 40X oddities and the Steyr......