Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Talladega Marksmanship Park
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2015, 04:39 PM

Jim,

Regarding the following questions:

"With the current target faces there is only the white target face and the black center. Is there any reason why the black centers can't have scoring rings?"

The black centers that are visible from the firing line are either a rotating "scoring rubber" or a foam insulating center used primarily to reflect a normal target appearance along with the hole cut in the white target face (corrugated plastic). The rotating rubber is not indexed to specific points and could not reliably be placed in the center of the target as you would a paper repair center, the same is true of the insulating centers.

"Having the scoring rings would be particularly helpful when shooting scoped rifles."

This has been discussed in reference to the Vintage Sniper, F-Class, and other scoped competitors, as well as our everyday customers that are just sighting in hunting rifles. We are looking at several solutions that have to be tested before implementation. It is possible now to overlay a paper target over the current target face, but would not want to do so for match use because of the possibility of mounting variances. We have also stapled a white center onto the scoring rubber just to provide a more precise aiming point, again not for match use. We are looking at printing the target face on the corrugated plastic that is currently used for the white portion of the target face. We have to ensure that the printing and the mounting process can be replicated with the same tolerances used now for the cutting and mounting of the faces currently in use.

We understand that some customers and competitors want additional target reference points or aiming points and we are looking for the best solutions.

Bryan Parris
CMP Targets
Integrity Accuracy Safety Efficiency
Old 11-27-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsudduth View Post
Thanks for the continued updates Bryan. I have a question regarding the target faces. With the current target faces there is only the white target face and the black center. Is there any reason why the black centers can't have scoring rings? Having the scoring rings would be particularly helpful when shooting scoped rifles.
Thanks
Jim
With the targets not having any scoring rings to use as a reference, we have been using a 6 o'clock or 12 o'clock hold. Hope this helps.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:33 PM

Sometimes the obvious is overlooked.
Good suggestion.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:23 AM

And that will work well on the standard MR target with its generous scoring rings. It won't work worth a flip on the MR-Fclass. Those matches are won X count and the precision needed to put 95% of the shots inside a 3" X ring at 600yards is not there when trying to hold 6 o'clock on a 36" bull.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:29 PM

Use the mildots (or whatever your scope has for hold off points of reference) and position them on the target frame.............

In other words use the target frame as a point of aim and adjust the point of impact to the x-ring................ ?

Just a thought..............

(Being former Artillery means I'm used to aiming at something that has nothing to do with where the rounds are landing)

"Adapt and over come............"

Last edited by Gewehr43; 11-28-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
Use the mildots (or whatever your scope has for hold off points of reference) and position them on the target frame.............

In other words use the target frame as a point of aim and adjust the point of impact to the x-ring................ ?

Just a thought..............

(Being former Artillery means I'm used to aiming at something that has nothing to do with where the rounds are landing)

"Adapt and over come............"
I'm thinking you've not shot F-Class much. We will hold 1/2 way between rings, on the numbers whatever we need to in order to find the X-ring. Most shoot a fine crosshair. We don't like a cluttered sight picture. Last match my hold varied from just inside the X ring to just outside it.

Either way, I'm not sure how much F-Class mid range they will be shooting at TMP. If I am not mistaken an NRA registered match requires a 500 yard line. Anything like a regional or state championship requires shooting at 300, 500 and 600 on at least one day. As things at TMP currently exist it is impossible to run such a match.

Jim

Last edited by jsudduth; 11-28-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:20 PM

Well I was wondering that too..........If there are/ will be any "F class" matches there..................

I've shot a lot of scoped rifles but not "F Class."

But my suggestion is based on the idea that sometimes a match or how you shoot isn't ideal or normally how you do it.......... but if want to win.......you will find a way..........

You are using the "X" as an aiming point........there is nothing stopping you from using the "9" or "8" or the edge of the frame either. They are just as precise as the other.

I don't like shooting in the rain, high winds or 30F weather but I have.

When I've shot at standard NRA targets with a scoped rifle, the crosshairs extend past the target frame (the FOV is wider than the target) do yours? (maybe part of my confusion is the magnification you are using?)

Last edited by Gewehr43; 11-28-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:51 PM

The point is that you need multiple aiming points. As the wind varies you need to adjust your hold off to deal with it. The wind switches to quickly to dial it on your scope. Most guys deal with the wind by holding off.

I use a 10-50x variable, and most of the time it's on 40 to 50x.

A lot of guys use the numbers to make sure there scopes are held level by lining up the crosshairs over the numbers.

You could shoot a match that was a 3x600. But the current target faces are not optimal for use in an F Class match.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:01 PM

Brian:

Yes! Thank you for posting here and taking on a challenging task.

jsudduth:

Thanks for answering my questions about your sport!