Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2018, 12:52 AM

Default CMP Records

Does the CMP maintain records on M1 Garand rifles that pass through it? I read in this months GCA Journal where Serial # Researcher Jennifer Smith was able to connect a veteran with his service weapon. It appears that the M1 I recently acquired from the CMP has passed through there a couple of times, given the marks on the stock. I would love to have as much history about my M1 as possible. Please let me know if this is a service that is available, and if so at what cost. If not where can this information be obtained?
Old 12-23-2018, 05:06 AM

From the CMP sales FAQ:

Q?

Will the CMP research a serial number to see if it had ever been sold by the DCM or CMP?

A.

We will perform the research. Research often involves going through boxes of old records. Our files are only complete from 1996 to the present. We do have some earlier files, but know they are incomplete. We require a letter request with payment and we will respond by letter stating if we found anything, and if so when we sold it and what model it was we actually sold. We will not identify original purchaser. Allow 2-3 weeks per serial number.

We regret not being able to perform this service for free. We receive dozens of requests each week and it can take up to one hour just to find that we do not have any record of a serial number being researched. Charge is $25.00 per serial number, prepaid, whether we find anything or not.

If interested, send letter to CMP, ATTN: Serial Number Research, 1401 Commerce Blvd., Anniston, AL 36207.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 12-23-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC9636 View Post
Does the CMP maintain records on M1 Garand rifles that pass through it? I read in this months GCA Journal where Serial # Researcher Jennifer Smith was able to connect a veteran with his service weapon. It appears that the M1 I recently acquired from the CMP has passed through there a couple of times, given the marks on the stock. I would love to have as much history about my M1 as possible. Please let me know if this is a service that is available, and if so at what cost. If not where can this information be obtained?
Save your money
Rebuild marks on stocks have absolutely nothing to do with CMP. Those are US Arsenal stamps. CMP will not be able to tell you anything about the history of your Garand just that it was sold by them and the grade
Old 12-23-2018, 08:25 AM

I seriously doubt that your M1 has passed through CMP more than once. Not saying it's impossible, but it is highly unlikely. Per above, all CMP research can or will tell you is whether or not they sold it, and if so when, and what grade it was sold as. No history prior to it entering the CMP system is available. Out of curiosity,what stock markings would lead you to believe CMP has sold it more than once?

Note: Orlando beat me to the keyboard!!!!

Last edited by Tester19; 12-23-2018 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Update!
Old 12-23-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC9636 View Post
Since you recently acquired the rifle from CMP you should already have the COA, hangtag and the invoice. As said above all CMP research can or will tell you is whether or not they sold it, and if so when and what grade it was sold as. That information came with your rifle so there's nothing to be gained by contacting CMP and you'll save yourself $25
Old 12-23-2018, 01:50 PM

If you want to try the $25 CMP serial # research route, it could yield additional info on your particular M1.
As others said, it will normally just confirm if your M1 was/was not sold through the CMP or the DCM (more limited records of DCM sales but there are some)

I've used the serial # research twice, both times receiving confirmation the rifles, an M1D and an M1A1 were sold through the CMP, also receiving the grade and cost they sold for. In the case of the M1A1, they gave me additional info that I was not expecting, telling me that it came to CMP with the group of Greek returned rifles and sold on the CMP auction in 2008. It was nice to know were it came from to the CMP, and at least one location the carbine served for foreign military training.

So my point is that if you send in a request of what info you're looking for, you might be surprised with some specific info they might have on file, and they might tell you where the rifle came in from, Philippines, Turkey, etc.
No guarantee, but for $25, a small price, imo, and the fee goes to a good cause anyway!

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor

Last edited by Craftsman; 12-23-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:28 PM

I recently sent a request on a Springfield 1911 that is N.R.A. marked. It may have been sold thru DCM. I received a letter back that they currently do not go back past 1996.
however
they do have a lot of DCM 1911 info and will be recording it in the future.

hope

Carry On
Old 01-03-2019, 05:01 PM

They have no past pistol records. I tried.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:24 PM

Thumbs up Info Obtained

I finally made contact with the Research office and the lady was kind enough to tell me that they received my rifle from the Philippines on 3/22/18. I asked if they would have any additional information beyond that if I sent the $25, like when it went there. She stated that no there would be no additional info, and thus saved both me & them tine and money.

I THANK everyone for their input to my quest, and especially the CMP Staff as they have been top-notch on every item I've had with them .