Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubs43 View Post
Contact the National Archives. They should be able to explain the procedure necessary to get his military records IF they weren't destroyed in the fire as many WW2 records were.
Unfortunately is more than just WW II records that were destroyed.

Army Personnel discharged November 1, 1912 to January 1, 1960 80%

Air Forces Personnel discharged September 25, 1947 to January 1, 1964
(with names alphabetically after Hubbard, James E.)
75%
Old 01-17-2019, 08:43 PM

If you have a local American Legion post, the Post Commander or whomever handles records for the post should be able to help. You could also see if you have a State/County Veterans Service Officer near you. Here is a link:
https://www.longtermcarelink.net/ref...e_officers.htm
Generally, the Veterans Service Officer can help with virtually any problem.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drywash View Post
I had a great Uncle killed on D-Day. The family neglected to get him a stone. I am the only surviving relative of this man. (Great Nephew). How do I get his paperwork (discharge or KIA Info) I need to do that as I an not getting any younger. It's on my to do list.
Go to fold3, you should find details of his burial and death. The Army has info outside of the personnel files. You can get his service number from the death lists if he was KIA
Old 01-18-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I had a great Uncle killed on D-Day. The family neglected to get him a stone. I am the only surviving relative of this man. (Great Nephew). How do I get his paperwork (discharge or KIA Info) I need to do that as I an not getting any younger. It's on my to do list.
Guess you didn't notice that I provided the info you're asking for in the post directly above your post!!!

See: HEADSTONES & MARKERS at https://www.military.com/benefits/burial-and-memorial

Submit: https://www.va.gov/vaforms/va/pdf/VA40-1330.pdf

Last edited by DDRode; 01-18-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:26 PM

thanks,still have to get service records before l apply for stone. many thanks. Also trip to cemetery for dob/
DoD and full name.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
thanks,still have to get service records before l apply for stone. many thanks. Also trip to cemetery for dob/
DoD and full name.
https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

Last edited by DDRode; 01-18-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:10 PM

Sir,
Since it is usually the deceased's family responsibility to make sure the funeral director know of ones military service, it may be something that was overlooked at the time. If you take your Great grandfather discharge to your local Veterans Administration Office I'm sure they would be happy to assist you in obtaining a flag and getting a service plague for his grave if you so desire. The VA helped me obtain my Grandfathers Honorable Discharge from the AEF and get a Military service plague for his grave 40 years after his death in 1962. I hope this will help you get the recognition for your GGF that he disserves. regards, Eddie
Old 01-19-2019, 09:43 AM

Everyone assumes that the fire in St. Louis completely destroyed all records affected but the truth is that since the fire we have learned that while all of a group of records burned, they were not totally destroyed and they have been forensically restoring a great number of those records. My late former father in law was a WWII veteran and I served as a pall bearer in his funeral. My daughter secured his service records in a matter of days including his discharge certificate and put together a quick shadow box with his decorations that was ready at the funeral. If the records were destroyed, they can verify his service and provide a certificate of service (I've seen a lot of those even from service periods after the fire). You won't get a discharge certificate that lists his awards and decorations. I guess what I'm saying is it is worth a try for the records. You never know what you will get and oh yes, any family member of any generation may request records of an ancestor. I hope this helps to encourage the try. No tribute for an American Veteran is ever too late.
Bob Graham
Vail, AZ

Last edited by jeeperbob; 01-19-2019 at 09:46 AM. Reason: update
Old 01-19-2019, 04:33 PM

Here's a great article/explanation of the records depository fire, what was destroyed, what wasn't and how much has been restored etc.

https://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=39667
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Old 01-23-2019, 02:04 PM

When my grandfather was buried at San Bruno around 1956, they had a full blown/honor guard rifle salute with duty doggies like at Arlington. It was a beautiful celebration for a cook in the Spanish American war.

We just buried my Father in Law who passed away in August at 99 1/2. I advised my wife to get the Army marker. It was not much, just a name and Army WW2. If you were killed I think they put PH on it. No honor guard, just a lay preacher wearing a AL/DAV hat. I was the only vet there and he made me stand and salute like there were hundreds of us. Turns out he was some staff weenie late in Vietnam.

$200 and a brass marker, that's all we are worth to a grateful nation.