Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Talladega Marksmanship Park
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2015, 12:38 PM

Default 800 Aggregate Match Weekend

As posted on another forum, I would like to address some of the issues we faced on August 29th and 30th during Top’s Highpower Clinic and 800 Agg. The primary issue and constant concern, both for competitors and staff, with the Talladega Marksmanship Park is the use of electronic targets. During both the clinic and the 800 aggregate match the targets “failed”. I use this term loosely, as the targets did not “fail”, the targets worked exactly as they should when mechanical and electrical issues arise.

The target issue that occurred was an entire section of targets not recording shots. During the slow fire stage the 200 yard line stopped receiving shots to the monitors. This occurred throughout the entire 200 yard line. To date, this is the first time CMP staff has seen an entire section of targets stop communicating from the monitors to the targets down range. The course of action was to call a cease fire and restart the target system. This did reboot the targets into working after a 30 minute delay.

During this time staff was unsure what caused the issues. Were the targets down range possibly exposed to too much moisture in the rain? Or was the software in the computer causing issues because it was a match? To eliminate possible factors the remainder of the slow fire match was shot in “practice mode”. Paper score cards were used to record the remaining shots.

After completion of the match staff was able to troubleshoot all issues of the targets. The targets had not “failed” during the match, they had reacted as they should when wires and microphones have been shot. (Note: Please shoot in the middle of the target ) The targets results software overloaded trying to compensate for the lack of information being sent. While using the results software the targets are constantly sending information to the computers and monitors about the hits they receive. Unlike a practice mode, where individual targets are operated, the computer demands information from all lanes. With shorted wires, damaged targets or other mechanical/electrical issues, the computer is unable to receive complete information. In response, it shuts down.

An additional concern during the rapid fire stage was targets not registering all shots. As the line had previously shut off, it’s understandable the lack of confidence in the target accurately recording shots. However the accuracy of the target was never compromised, the target power had been shut off completely. Competitors that reported their target missing shots were given a provisional shot to test the target. When the shot recorded, a verification the target is working, an alibi string was not granted.

The CMP has full faith in KTS electronic targets, we only ask for your patience in this new (to everyone) transition. Our faith in the electronics does not make us arrogant. We are constantly learning how to properly troubleshoot areas when they arise. Paper scorecards, scorers/verifiers are part of the learning process to both competitors and staff.
Electronic Target Scoring in High Power here in the US is an advancement in our sport, and again it’s a learning curve for all involved. CMP’s goal is marksmanship and the further development of junior shooters and civilians alike.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:19 PM

..and communication such as this goes a very long way. Thanks and it appears you will be posting here with updates, progress and problems.

That helps.

I was not there but will be in the next few weeks, then again in December. At least I know from here, if there's an issue, not to let my frustration get the better of me- like crappy pit service in a national match.

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:10 PM

Yes. This is excellent communication of information.
I dislike it when your everyday competitor goes on a rant because his or her expectation were not met, then wants to blame it on something or someone else.
Good job.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308cal View Post
Yes. This is excellent communication of information.
I dislike it when your everyday competitor goes on a rant because his or her expectation were not met, then wants to blame it on something or someone else.
Good job.
If the target system is not believed to be reliable, not only will "everyday competitors" not use the facility, but champions won't either.

I've seen problems with the KTS system both at the first leg match held there and during practice. It's good that CMP is now actually acknowledging this.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:03 PM

Competitors have enough to do, dealing with themselves. Target confidence, or lack thereof, is not a trivial matter. Time to buy some more processing power...
Old 09-04-2015, 08:10 PM

It's a simple thing, don't shoot the microphones in the target assembly. If your shooting the mics, your shooting misses. Look to the marksmanship or lack there of.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:15 PM

Let's see how the m1 carbine match goes tomorrow on the 100 yd range.

New shooters and microphones are a bad combination, but seriously it's a new technology. I see 1/4'' plates around the mic's on the target frames in our future.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K31Schmidt View Post
Let's see how the m1 carbine match goes tomorrow on the 100 yd range.

New shooters and microphones are a bad combination, but seriously it's a new technology. I see 1/4'' plates around the mic's on the target frames in our future.
The thing of it is, it isn't a new technology at all.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missilegeek View Post
This makes me wonder, what happens where other E-Targets are utilized successfully?

I cannot believe that the marksmanship is so grotesque, that only Talladega suffers from homicidal riflemen targeting the microphones.

Target frames across the country have wild shots in the 2x4's, this is nothing new.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missilegeek View Post
yes, its not a new technology. they shoot them in Europe with the same type of rifles at 300meter or longer distances for matches (which are even televised by the way) all the time. the difference is that CMP is open to the public. They do not limit to the top ranked shooters in the country, but anybody with $20 and a deer gun can go shoot the $h!t out of the targets.

I imagine maintaining 50+ targets at 3 different target lines after any Tom, Dick or Harry shoots at it is a huge task.

Everybody has their own side to argue. I highly doubt CMP is blind to the fact that the targets are not operating at its desired performance level.

How many of you have built 200 yard target frames for your club? they get shot up EVERY match and CMP is open 5 days. Give them a break, they have us in our best interest.

cjon