Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2018, 08:31 PM

Default North Store advice needed for novice

You guys may not realize it but you really have your own code. I am more of a handgun guy but some buddies and I have been wanting to make the drive and try to just get some nice shooter M! Garands.

So from what I am getting from your North store reports.... If I don't care what brand receiver I get there are plenty of service and Field Grades to get there as good shooters? And there are likely different ones every week?

Planning on going in a couple of weeks on on Thursday.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:32 PM

Service and Field Grades that I have seen available at the North Store are IHC and prices are $980 and $1080 plus 7% Ohio tax. Most all of them had good readings and would make good shooters. Most have new CMP wood. None I saw had IHC stocks. Best to call ahead and they will let you know what they have in the racks. Good luck!
Old 04-01-2018, 10:58 PM

Since you're looking to get your first I'd suggest going for the extra $100 and get a Service Grade if they still have any when you get there.

Also, go for the lowest number for muzzle erosion and throat erosion (0 is the best) on the tag that each rifle has. That gives you the best barrel.

If you get bit by the M1 bug and decide to go for more then you can get picky about correct individual parts.

My 02
Old 04-02-2018, 12:41 AM

The field and rack grades have been polluted with hackberry firewood. But there have been smatterings of all four receiver makers recently at the North Store. You might luck out and find a decent one that has GI wood and decent readings. Someone recently found an HRA racker there that wasn't bad at all.

Service grades are pretty much IHC. The most expensive of the four but the safest bet.

There will be a bunch of sniper rifles there will no scopes that have been there for eons. They are overly expensive.

Then there are the drill rifles. Don't bother with those ether.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:04 AM

Thanks for the info. So it sounds like their aren't really any Springfield or H&R available in the store? Those are the more economical ones I was interested in.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:56 AM

also It seems but not confirmed that Fridays seem to be the better day to go. I have seen reports that they get trucks late in the morning but dont put anything out until Friday.

its just food for thought.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by messer454 View Post
Thanks for the info. So it sounds like their aren't really any Springfield or H&R available in the store? Those are the more economical ones I was interested in.
If there are they seem to be sporadic and in lower numbers.

Trucks seem to come every few months. There have been times they sell out of everything but the snipers and the drills.

They will randomly send some odd goodies on the truck too.

One truck brought just enough Carbines to have a "easter egg" hunt. They would hide the Carbine in the store and the first guy to find it got it.

Last truck had one rack full of SC M1903A3
Old 04-02-2018, 01:52 PM

Ohh and one more tip. The store will WITHOUT FAIL. Be pretty stocked with EPIC goodies during the National Matches. However, your going to have to get there early. There WILL be a line.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:42 PM

Going to the North store is always a great time but you never know what you will find. For your first M1, especially since you want a shooter, I wouldn't pay the extra amount charged for an IHC. I think after going to the North Store if you find only IHC Service Grades, you should buy a Service Grade SA/HRA through mail order. I have always gotten very nice rifles by mail order (much nicer than the Service Grade description).
Old 04-02-2018, 04:05 PM

Was there Saturday the 31st,, Rack IHC (2) Field IHC (rack full)--All with GI stocks--No Hack wood-- and a rack of serves Grade IHC (all new CMP Stocks) Nice-- I took home a well worn IHC,, shiny Gas Cly ,,TE 3 and ME 3--and a H&R stock-With DAS stamp and Nice P--- Dirty but cleaning up nice- and too boot and very early one 4445550 SA made reciver-- Very happy i went-- If that SN number didn,t catch me i would have gone with Serives grade- 1 and 2 in TE ME Very good shooters- and bit $$ But Nice -- Call ahead-- roger